Wednesday, October 29, 2008

turning point

My husband made me cry tonight. He did. (and I will continue to remind him of that).

He came home and told me to watch a couple of youtube videos. Remember the WHASSUP!!!?? commercials from (OMG) 8 years ago??



OK. Now watch this one:



I believe they're the same actors.

This totally took me by surprise and I burst into tears, somewhat stunning poor DH.

Sixteen years ago, I was very young. I was single and so naive and idealistic and when Bill Clinton/Al Gore were elected, I cried. I'd gone to the local Democratic Headquarters on election night and felt the love and the optimism and I ate cake in celebration with other democrats. (I also remember hiding from some guy that wanted to date me. LOL. I was pissed beyond belief at him for interjecting something so stupid and unwanted into something I felt so incredibly strongly about. This was a night about the FUTURE and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and um, not so much about who to go out for pizza with.) No, I never went out with him and I successfully avoided him that night, though I left the festivities earlier than I would have otherwise. But he didn't ruin my fun. I went home and watched the returns and I cried and cried and felt like there was intelligence in the world again after all. Later, I drove to DC in January for the inauguration festivities and ate NY cheesecake and danced with friends. I felt more optimistic about the world than I can remember feeling since.

Next Tuesday holds the opportunity to surpass that feeling of optimism. I will either fall in love with my country all over again or I will... I don't know what I'll do. I saw announcements for work in atmospheric chemistry at York U. in Canada a few weeks ago. Maybe I should look into it. I don't know if I can bear it if John McCain and Sarah Palin are elected. I cannot understand how there is even a possibility of that happening. WTF is WRONG with people?? Seriously? I don't understand. John McCain was someone who held my respect before he nominated doo-dah know-nothing fluffy bit of meanness Palin. The thought of her holding the position of Vice President of the most powerful country on earth is in the realm of horror movies. Seriously. How can anyone that thinks not be scared as hell by the thought of her running this country? OMG.

Turning point.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a freaking awesome video! I love it! Obama is going to win this election, I don't think you'll have to move to CA. I truly believe he will win.

Asdis said...

That smile on his face touched me! There is hope :-)

Kanga Jen said...

I'm not feelin' it (the hope).
:-(

I think fear and lies will win every time. Too many people are lazy and willing to believe anything they hear.

Not feeling the hope today. :-(

Anonymous said...

Hey, just so you know, Outley Elementary voted for Obama 640 to 210.
Tra

Kanga Jen said...

Maybe I'll move there, seester.
Kids are smarter than grown ups most of the time.

E's school bus voted for Barack too. Of course, the choices were "J.M." and "B.B.". (courtesy of our sweet neighbor girl Treehugger).
John McCain, or
Baracko Bama.

Ruthie said...

Oh, PM...

Maybe this isn't a good time to bring this up, but I've just started working at a center that specializes in media ethics and law with a woman who's a prominent privacy scholar/former reporter/badass lawyer, and I'm more depressed and paranoid that I've ever been about the current state of our government. I'm more afraid than ever that this culture of secrecy, willful ignorance, and unchecked government powers will continue under a Republican president.

You have every reason to be worried and concerned.

I've just finished reading a recent case wherein the U.S. government ACTUALLY TRIED to invoke the Geneva Convention to prohibit the dissemination of photographs of prisoner abuse overseas to American civil rights groups. (The GC has a provision that essentially protects prisoners from "public curiosity"--of course, in context it's meant to protect prisoners from being, say, dragged naked through the streets and mocked, not from having proof of their abuse released to people who can do something about it.)

This is the same government that refuses to call these people "prisoners" in the first place, relying on semantics ("enemy combatants," "detainees") to get around the rules the Geneva Convention sets forth about humane treatment of prisoners of war.

So in this case, the U.S. government actually tried to argue that releasing the photographs (and thereby shedding light on an egregious violation of the GC) would somehow.... violate the Geneva Convention.

Brazen. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry. It's just been one of those days.

Sounds like you can relate.

I think you can tell by now that I'm wholeheartedly in the Obama corner too. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win, but if he doesn't.... I don't know... come visit me and we'll get cry and drink wine.

And plan our escape.

[sigh].

Kanga Jen said...

Oh Ruthie.
:-(

I sometimes try to convince myself that I'm just overly paranoid and things can't REALLY be that bad.

But so far those attempts haven't lasted very long.

I don't understand. Is this for power? For greed? Evil doesn't happen simply for itself. What drives this kind of action? What is the motive? How did we get here?

I watch too many movies and have this desire to hit "rewind" to get back to a place where we can make things go right again.

What happened to just plain old honesty? Where did we lose that?

Yes, I totally relate to "one of those days."
(sigh)

Tell me where to meet you for drinks and I'll be there. ;-)

Lynne Thompson said...

For 40 years, the candidate the Scholastic polls name had won. This year--they picked Obama~ LT