Thursday, October 30, 2008

from the mouths of babes

I received a call from E's 4th grade teacher while I was at work today. Those are lovely calls to get, aren't they? "Hello! This is Mrs. L. Is this a good time for you to talk? I need to talk to you about an incident with E today."

I should point out that I'm good friends with E's teacher. She didn't sound overly upset or anything, so I didn't freak and simply said yes, this was a good time and please tell me what happened.

The 4th graders put on a Veteran's Day program every year at our school. It's very nice and usually brings a few tears to every eye in the auditorium. Anyway, they were practicing the song "God Bless the USA" today, and Mrs. L told me she noticed that E and her good friend were just sobbing and sobbing. She pulled them aside, very concerned, and asked them what was wrong. My dear, sweet E told her this: "Next week is the election and if John McCain is elected, he's really old and has cancer and if he dies, that means Sarah Palin will be president and then we're going to have to move to CANADAAAAAA!!!!!" (sob sob sob) E's friend was sobbing because she was going to miss E. E was afraid she wasn't even going to get to perform the Veteran's Day program with her class because she would be moving either to Canada or somewhere else overseas.

Oh geez.

I started to apologize profusely to Mrs. L, but had to stop because she couldn't hold back her laughter any longer. "I'm sorry - I don't mean to laugh but. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH" etc., etc., etc. "I think you might ..." hahahahahah" etc.,e etc., etc., ...need to reassure E"....bwahahahah..."tonight. Unless you're really going to move to Canada."

"I think I need to stop shooting my mouth off in front of my kids" I said.

3 comments:

JeepGirl said...

ROFL! Yeah, sometimes too much communication is a bad thing, eh? That's hilarious.

Lynne Thompson said...

It's scary what they hear and what they take to heart!!! But I can get why you said it...:-) LT

J. said...

ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :)