Friday, October 17, 2008

I am a bad person

Yes, it's true. I'm mean and petty and emotional.

So.

The Red Sox were down 3 games to 1 in the best-of-7 ACLS playoffs. The game started at 8 pm last night. I opened the Zweigelt. I made the chicken wings. (Odd combination, I know, but it seems to work its mojo). I put on my Red Sox tank top. (It has to be the tank top - not even my Mikey Lowell jersey - but the tank top). I was good to go. But no one else in my family was. DH was busy trying to fix a fan in one of our computers and hadn't even changed out of work clothes. Q was watching some silly Discovery Channel documentary. E was playing with Littlest Pet Shop toys. I persisted. The Sox fell behind. I emailed virtual sorrow-drinks with J. I demanded that everyone else in my family start contributing. DH just laughed at me. E ignored me. I demanded that she use her powers. She still ignored me. I was M.A.D.

When the Sox were losing 7-0, I'd had enough. I was quite childish. I stormed through the house yelling at people. E still refused to use her powers. (Heh - you know when you joke about something, but only mostly joke?) I drank too much of the Zweigelt and fell asleep. Stupid baseball. Stupid superstitions. Stupid everything.

Headlines this morning:

"One of the best comebacks ever"
"Biggest postseason comeback in 79 years"
"...historic...wild, whacky, wonderful"
"NOW do you believe?"

For the love of Pete.

I didn't make coffee for DH this morning as usual as a form of punishment. I'm not sure exactly why I'm punishing him, but it feels right. I TOLD you I'm a mean person.

10 comments:

ssdx5 said...

Thought about you this morning when I heard on the radio that they pulled it out. WOW...so...what are you going to do for their next game???

Kanga Jen said...

Apparently, I'm going to wear my RS tank top, make chicken wings and open a bottle of Zweigelt.

I wonder if I should fall asleep again?

ssdx5 said...

You might need to have all the fam off doing their own things too...just ignoring you and your pleas for their help in getting the RS to win! LOL

J said...

Red Sox fans superstitious?

No!

:-D

J said...

oh - best part for me was a few minutes ago when I called a friend and said "How about the game?"

Her, sighing: I know. B spent all of breakfast trying to decide who to root for in the Series. I was so depressed that I shut it off in the top of the 7th and went to bed.

Me: Um.... The Red Sox won.

Her: What?

Me: The Red Sox won. 8-7. They scored four in the 7th, two in the 8th and walked-off in the 9th.

Her: Really? Are you sure.

Me: Yes. The Red Sox won.

Her: Wow.

I still don't think she believes me. I expect a call any moment with her saying, "OMG, you were right! The Red Sox won!"

Holly Jahangiri said...

Y'know, if all sports writing was like this, I might actually (grudgingly) start to take an interest.

Kanga Jen said...

J - I do not deserve to be called a Red Sox fan, nor do I deserve to be happy about this win. I am paying penance by walking around with a knot in my stomach all day and feeling like a fraud.

ssd - you're right that we should recreate the entire scene, but I don't think DH will do that. He did go put on his Varitek jersey and start in on the wings right about the time I took a nosedive, so I'm sure he believes he supplied all the magic. Sure - ignore all my hard work... ;-)

Holly. Some of the players are really hot, too. That part's fun. Not that I'm like that or anything. Just ask J.

Kanga Jen said...

J - that is HILARIOUS about your friend!!! I woke up this morning, cursing that I'd fallen asleep, and ran to the office to check the score. I couldn't even laugh when I saw the headlines - I only gawked.

Un-frickin'-believable.

I think they do this on purpose.

Kanga Jen said...

PS Holly - if you want to read a hilarious sports blog, check out the Basegirl link on my blogroll. She totally rocks.

Anonymous said...

J, at A&M I believe you would be called a "2 percenter" for leaving the game early.