Monday, April 09, 2007

stitching again

One nice thing about our long drives to and from Augusta is that I am forced to sit quietly for about 7.5 hours each way. I usually spend my time knitting, which is something I love to do and something I have not done much of this past year. In fact, I have been working on exactly ONE project this entire last year. One. And I finished it this weekend.




And here's a closer view because by god if I'm going to spend a YEAR working on something, I'm going to show it off!



It's not my favorite among baby blankets I've done, and in reality should have been completed in a matter of weeks (maybe a month) if I'd been knitting at the pace I'd like to have been. In any case, being forced to sit and knit, and actually finishing a project has reminded me that I really need to make time for this kind of stuff. Here is a sock I started years ago for my MIL and I'm in the process of finishing up now:



I love this pattern! There's also a thermal pattern for socks that I've tried (finished one sock for DD). If you haven't noticed, I tend to abandon my sock projects after one sock. This is a habit I need to break.

In anycase, it was so very nice to do something not related to the PTA, to work, to UU... I'm penciling in a date for me and my needles every evening here on out.

6 comments:

Holly Jahangiri said...

That's great! I wish I could knit or crochet. Unfortunately, I can see me abandoning sock projects after just one sock, too - I could relate to that so well, I had to laugh (spewing coffee on my monitor in the process, thank you very much!) These are lovely, though, and deserve not to be abandoned.

J said...

Yea you!

The baby blanket is lovely. I've never been able to finish them myself. The last one I started was for my nephew. I finished about 1/2 before I gave up. He turns 8 next week.

Getting back to my knitting is a goal for me right now...

Anonymous said...

Yup, my knitting comes in spurts, sometimes with YEARS between projects. What's that saying, "Branch doesn't fall far from the tree"...or something?

Asdis said...

It's a beautiful blanket :) Congratulations on your finished project!! I've been knitting a scarf for myself for months now. Only knit for 5 minutes or so each week so it's my never-ending project. I'm too obsessed about my cross-stitching these days to spend time knitting.

Ruthie said...

That blanket is beautiful. The time you put into it makes it all the more valuable for whomever will inherit it.

My son sleeps with a hand-knitted baby blanket that hearkens back to his great-grandmother.

Kanga Jen said...

Thank you Holly, J, mom, Asdis and Ruthie! :-) I received some hand-knit/crocheted blankets when my kids were babies and they're among my absolute favorite gifts. Very special.

I missed a great opportunity to finish the socks this week when I was stuck sitting in the van in a parking lot for 1.5 HOURS. (gotta love baseball season and 2 kids and what the whole juggling/taxi-drive thing makes you end up doing). All I could do was sit there and wonder how I could have possibly left my knitting bag sitting at home in my craft room. ;-)