Wednesday, April 25, 2007

midlife crisis fun

Here's what I did today with friend K and neighbor G.

And here's why I picked a cherry blossom for my tattoo:

The cherry blossom is a very delicate flower that blooms for a very short time. For the Japanese this represents the transience of life. This concept ties in very deeply with the fundamental teachings of Buddhism that state all life is suffering and transitory. The Japanese have long held strong to the Buddhist belief of the transitory nature of life and it is very noble to not get too attached to a particular outcome or not become emotional because it will all pass in time.

And I didn't cry!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!

J said...

NO FREAKIN' WAY!!

You are just too cool for me. :-)

Seriously, it looks awesome.

lrd said...

Welcome to the club, oh inked one! I have never for one second regretted mine. In fact, believe it or not, I've been considering another one. Maybe in exchange for 50 pounds or so.

Looks great, and I love the meaning behind it.

Mama Moose said...

Love it. Permanent, yet transient. A lovely thought.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you really did it!

Anonymous said...

That doesn't rub off? Really?

No. Really? How come I didn't know this was coming?

Anonymous said...

I think you are the first tatooed president. I like the way this organization is going!!