Wednesday, April 04, 2007

rolling on the river

Wow. I just noticed that this is my 200th post...and that would be over a time span of 1 year and 9 months, which works out to 9.5 posts per month. Not so bad!

Well, with respect to my life lately, I've wallowed and cried and felt sorry for myself and I'm done now. (I'm sure you're not as happy about that as my DH and children are). I took Q and E to Busch Gardens earlier this week (it's our spring break). We were unable to get Q onto his favorite roller coaster "Alpengeist" because the sentries at the entrance would not let me take E with us in line. I can guarantee you there was NO WAY she was getting on that roller coaster, even if she'd been tall enough (she is NOT a roller coaster gal. She likes her stomach where it is). I asked them what I was supposed to do with her, and I suppose they wanted me to a) leave her with some stranger or b) um....leave her with some stranger. So we left, and Q decided that the sentries had ruined his day and he'd like to go home. I was less than a good, sensitive mom at that point and let him know that he was letting somebody else dictate to him whether he was happy or not. I told him it was all his choice - we could continue to have fun at the park or he could let something out of his control turn his fun day into a sad one. (yes, the lesson I was trying to impart was a good-mom lesson, it was my delivery that took the good-mom ribbon away).

Anyway, as I was telling him these things, I started noticing large, invisible versions of myself which were floating around me and jabbing me with long, crooked accusing fingers and looking at me with much disdain." Will you LISTEN TO YOURSELF? Oh, you're just FULL of the best advise here! Do you think that maybe, just maybe, you might need to stop being so, um - what's the word? - HYPOCRITICAL????!!!!" (I come by my lecture-delivery techniques honestly, see?)

So yes, that was one of those moments where I stepped back and thought, "huh."

If it were up to us to design these rivers we're riding on, I doubt many of us would end up with much variety. Once we find a good place in our lives, we decide it's time to put down roots and nest there. Of course! How natural it is to want to stay comfortable. There's a fine line between comfort and stagnation, though. So lucky for us, it's not even our choice. All we can do is react.

It's time to recognize how lucky I am, what a great time it was, and return to having fun. We've got our new neighbors here already, that are incredibly awesome. Time to look forward and quit the whining.
It's certainly a lot nicer to lay back on the inner tube and float with the current than to frantically swim upstream. Anyway. Enough. I promise.

We're off to Georgia this afternoon. DH's dad has tickets to the Master's and I think DH will finally get to go this year. He hasn't decided who to take with him yet. (his dad has 2 tickets and basically lets his sons duke it out over who gets them on which day). I'll take the baby blanket that I've been working on for ONE YEAR and try to finish that up while I'm down there. Maybe I'll run by the library before we leave, too, and stock up on some good books. It'll be nice to have a little break.

I have to add a postscript to my Busch Gardens story here.
I looked for those evil floating egos later to jab them back a little bit. Q, being the incredibly sweet and strong boy that he is, agreed to try to return to having fun. We therefore stood in line for the Lochness Monster only to have it break down with "minor technical difficulties" about 3 turns before we would have made it on. I snatched Q and E's arms at that point, marched them out of the park, and straight to McDonalds where I bought them the biggest chocolate shakes available. The evil floating egos did not return for me to dance around and sing "I told you so." But I didn't look for them too hard. Because they are scary, and because after all, they really were right.

No comments: