Tuesday, September 30, 2008

gee, mom, what should I do next?

My plan for putting up a photo every day is falling way short, don't you think? However, I still want to attempt to post more often, so you'll have to live with another kid story for now. (BTW, it's not that there's nothing beautiful here - it's just that the juxtaposition of seeing beauty and having my camera with me doesn't occur that often).

Those of you who have young children or have had young children will understand why the happenings of this afternoon have left me wondering when Rod Serling is going to amble up to me.

I had a fairly typical day at work - there were lots of surly noises and other assorted vocal expressions on my part related to my frustration at spending every freakin' last minute of my work week working on cleaning up other people's papers, letting wonderboy assert his dominance by swallowing my acid retorts and letting him be, and downing several cream puffs and chocolate covered strawberries at the retirement party thrown by another co-worker who has bowed out of civil service. So I drove home, knowing I had a full evening's worth of activities I needed to accomplish on my own since DH has a class on Tuesday nights until late.

(By the way, I swear I am not making ANY of this up. It was surreal).

I got home and both kids were already home from school. Q greeted me with the news that Roxy (my dog) had relieved herself (both types) on the playroom carpet. Great. I walked into the playroom to clean it up to find daughter E closing up the Nature's Miracle bottle. "I cleaned it up, mom!" she told me with a brilliant smile. And she had, complete with application of enzyme solution that eats up the nasty. OK. Q then informed me that both of them had FINISHED their homework (not merely started it, mind you, but completed it.) I began work on making homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner, with whole wheat noodles and freshly cooked kernels of corn from the cob. Q took one bite and told me it was wonderful, and would I please save some for him to have later in the evening after his baseball game. When I asked for help feeding Roxy, Q took charge with a smile and sweet talked our sweet chronically ill puppy dog as he filled her bowl with the super expensive dog food and a spoonful of pumpkin. E then told me her friend down the street, Delaney, was worried because she didn't have a large zip-lock-bag to put her salt-dough in for their 4th grade projects tomorrow. She asked me politely if she could ride her bike down the street and give Delaney one of ours. As I subtly peered around for Mr. Serling, Q THEN told me that he'd already checked and his baseball uniform was already clean, and well, it seemed it was time for him to change into it. When E returned from her trip to rescue her friend, she likewise hopped to put on her soccer clothes.

The drive to our assorted playing fields was peppered with them quizzing each other on fascinating math puzzles they'd had today. They were silly and reserved and intellectual and funny. Q's game was cancelled because of earlier rain, and he was accepting of his fate of having to sit for an hour to watch his sister practice soccer. He was even entertaining and funny.

We came home and they took baths and went to bed when I asked them to.

WTF?

I'm expecting to look in the mirror and see June Cleaver.

5 comments:

Holly Jahangiri said...

You made that up.

I'm in awe. You could write a bestseller. Dang it, woman - I was riveted. It sounded so realistic I was able to suspend my disbelief. (The part about the enzyme stuff was overshadowed by my incredulity at hearing ALL the homework was done.)

Brava! You can be June Cleaver, but if you turn into Donna Reed, I swear I don't know you.

Anonymous said...

I think you'd like nice in pearls, J.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have it all in writing for posterity! I suppose stranger things have happened. Enjoy.

Jodie said...

If you'd like to see how the majority lives, I could loan you a couple of surly teen-age girls for awhile. Perhaps you've heard of the type--they fight over who is sitting in which chair, what TV channel to watch, whine about what's for supper but never offer suggestions, let alone take the initiative to COOK something, and would never admit to a "fascinating mathematical puzzle" having crossed their path. I'll pack them up. They'll be arriving soon...

Kanga Jen said...

Ha Jodie. Believe me it was short-lived. I'm back to having to remind them to not drop trash on the floor wherever they're standing when they no longer need it. I'm treasuring the memory though.

Holly - I forgot to add the part where E came to ask me to supervise while she did a load of her laundry. That was perhaps the biggest surprise of all to me.

Mare, I never thought I was much of the pearls type. Black pearls, maybe. Did June Cleaver ever wear black pearls?

Mom, I need to backup this blog so I'm sure to have a copy of all this stuff. I quit keeping a paper journal, so this is it...