Monday, September 29, 2008

finally, I'm one of the cool ones

Cell phone conversation between me and Q today as I started my drive home:

Me: So things were good at school today? Did you get much homework?
Q: It was good. I don't have very much homework.
(silence)
Q: Mom? I did kind of get into a marker fight on the bus.
Me: Kind of? And a WHAT fight?
Q: Markers. I didn't get anything on my clothes - it's just on my skin, but some others did. And it was so funny. (clearly glad he was included in this group of rebellious middle schoolers)
Me: Who was doing this? Everyone on the bus?
Q: No, just some of us. (hesitation....) And the bus driver said if any parents called to complain we would all have a referral written up.
Me: Huh. I guess I should call her then, huh? It sounds awfully dangerous. (spoken with more than a little sarcasm) Um, what do you DO in a marker fight? Throw markers at each other?
Q: No you stab them like a sword and mark on each other. It was really funny.
(silence while I imagine all the uniforms with marker slashes on them on the way home)
Q: Mom? You know that TV show about switching moms - wife swap? Before I started watching that, I never knew how lenient you were.
Me: LENIENT? Oh, baby. You know you should never tell a mom she's too lenient.
Q: I didn't say you were too lenient! You're just not crazy like most other moms are. You understand that a marker fight isn't like a fight where you really punch somebody.

I think I was just called a "cool mom" in a round about way.

10 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

Oh my gosh, you are cool, and he did call you cool in his way:-). This touched me so much. How neat.
LT

J said...

Ditto what Lynne said. Aw.

I got a "lean" the other day. You know - not a hug, but a lean in my direction that might have evolved into a hug had he been younger...

Kanga Jen said...

Well I hesitated to tell the story because it is an admission that we watch "Wife Swap" occasionally. Talk about a embarrassing and guilty pleasure. We've only seen it a few times, but he's right - some of the moms on there are frighteningly strict.

Glad you got a "lean," J. Those are just about as sweet as a full out hug. ;-)

Holly Jahangiri said...

Awww...

I think he's learned to "kiss up" so you won't call the bus driver. He doesn't know, yet, just how cool you really are. But he'll figure it out - at least he's appreciative.

Anonymous said...

Aww that's a cute story. I love how you asked if they THREW the markers at each other...had we been in middle school and heard about a marker fight that's what we would have done because we were profoundly not cool. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we could tell Q what you were like whenever you were in school? LOL... j/k J...then he'll really see the strides that you've made!

okay J... calm down and put down that marker. I'm running to Mamma now. LOL


trouble.

Kanga Jen said...

Mare - Q is a virtual carbon copy of me in male form. He was so happy he was included with something the cool kids were doing there was NO WAY I was going to do anything to mess that up.

Trouble - I think Q already knows what a geek I was. He found my yearbooks and just about died laughing at the photos of me. My daughter, on the other hand, was horrified. She did a bad job of hiding it. She is so much more cool than me that it's embarrassing.

BTW - trouble, you were cute back then!!!! (Still are..) ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL... My yearbooks are nailed shut! LOL... I got busted though. Someone that my mother in law works with brought her 2nd grade school photos and her 3rd grade photos while Caitlin was up there cleaning up after Ike.... Of course, Caitlin was giving me a very hard time. LOL... Okay, I'm blushing now. LOL.. never was very good at hiding that! LOL...

trouble.

Kanga Jen said...

Holly - I honestly don't think he's devious enough to kiss-up in any real sort of way. He's way too honest. When he does play the kiss up game, he bats his eyes at me and lays his head on my shoulder and is as obvious and funny as he can be.

Q really is a wide open book. I worry that he's going to get his feeling hurt really badly one day because he is so open. (sniff).

Trouble, those yearbooks are really frightening. E was horrified at the pictures of me. She's already so socially aware, and to see that her mother was such an obvious geek was a little startling for her. Ppbbhht.

Holly Jahangiri said...

That's William to a T. He growls when he's angry. I growl back, grinning. "Don't MOCK me!" he says, trying hard not to laugh.