Monday, February 04, 2008

nothing of substance

I'm still not feeling very funny. At all. Nor am I feeling intelligent or thoughtful or accomplished or creative.


So just stop reading now if you're hoping to increase your knowledge base. I've also apparently lost my ability to write well. I'm tired of staring at a white box on my computer so I'm forging ahead anyway. Here are some random thoughts/snapshots of recent life, since I can't come up with a theme. I don't know what's wrong with my head...


In case you missed it, the Patriots lost. While I don't personally lose any sleep over that, my husband does.

With about 3 minutes left in the game last night, I found myself in the bedroom with my head under the blankets. (My dog was right there with me). For those who don't know DH, my husband rarely gets angry. Oh, except while watching sports. During the 2004 baseball playoffs, I ended up taking the kids and walking down the street to visit my neighbor. Downright scary.





Cox Cable sucks. Just so you know.





I finally learned the name of the wonderfully sweet, kind lady at the cafeteria that makes my "half veggie on wheat, no mayo and extra hot peppers" just Perfectly every single day. We've chatted every day for years, but by the time I realized we were friends (and that she didn't wear a name tag), it would have been humiliating to ask her what her name was. She knew mine because I'd call my order in every so often. So we talk about the Red Sox and the weather and vacations and such every day, and I continue to feel guilty every day because I don't even know her name. I walk up to the hot sandwich counter and simply smile at her and she'll say "Hi J!! I'll get your sandwich - you go ahead and pay up front!!!," and then I'll be out of there and back to my office with a perfectly-made sandwich every single day. Not too much vinegar, cheese that doesn't stick to the wrapper, and olives that don't fall off the bun. No one else does it right. I'm out of there in record time too. NO ONE gets through that hot sandwich line like I do. Finally, I went to get my sandwich last week and another employee ended up serving me. She apologized to me for not having my regular order memorized and said "I'll make it for you but I'm sure it won't be up to Lynn's standards." I was thrilled. It's Lynn who takes care of me. She's a sweetheart. And now I know her name. (I'm bringing her some presents back from Fenway.)

Cheez-its and red wine are comfort food. Seriously. I was at the store the other day with those two items on the belt and the lady in front of me started laughing. Seems those were her two favorite things, too. I acted like I didn't know what she was talking about because I was so embarrassed. Then I went home to enjoy my cheez-its and red wine. I'd be enjoying them now too, except that my kids ate all the cheez-its. Gah.

My children sure are sweet. They love me very much. If I hold my eyes funny or sigh, Q is next to me asking "Are you OK????" E is the most confident little girl I've ever known, but her favorite thing is to sleep next to me. She keeps my back warm. She's also very proud of me. I don't know that I've ever felt so good about myself as I have through the eyes of my children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually this was a very good entry. It gives another glimpse of my "with-it" hyped daughter. I appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

For someone who didn't have much to say you still managed okay! I wish I could think of things to write too. My life seems either ridiculously boring or I simply have nothing interesting to offer the world because I have major writer's block :) Happy Super Tuesday! GO BARACK!

J said...

Comcast Cable sucks, too. When we were switched over, we all said we'd been "Comcasted." It was not a compliment.

Hang in there. I think I'm in a similar place.

lrd said...

Put me down as another cheez-its fan. And with my kids, the box is empty within a few minutes of opening it.

And what's this about J being the "with-it" daughter?

signed,
chopped liver

Kanga Jen said...

Yeah, the "with it" thing surprised me. :-) But I'll take it. Mom knows best, right?

J, hang in there!