Friday, February 01, 2008

i yam what I yam.

Wow. All you of my readers out there (what, are there two of you now??) have been missing out on some of the most awesome posts ever. I apologize profusely for that. I hope you don't feel too neglected.

I have written and rewritten and then deleted about how Thomas Jefferson and I are really a lot alike, or so I like to daydream. We were (are) idealists, dreamers, and were (are) both hypocritical to a very great extent - to an embarrassing extent. We blasted humans, we. Thomas Jefferson and his slaves have been and will continue to be the topic of great debate amongst those who study this man who wrote so eloquently about the equality of all men in our constitution. I have devoted my work life to studying the atmosphere and the changes we are are causing by our unfettered emissions of carbon dioxide...as I drive 35 miles to and from work each day in a minivan, on top of my husband's commute of the same distance - in a separate car. I am as unwilling to sacrifice my own lifestyle for that which I hold dear as Jefferson was. It's a very uncomfortable place to be, and is interesting for me to think about as I ponder the man Jefferson was. I think I would have loved to have had dinner and wine with him.

I have written and rewritten and then deleted posts about the parallels between todays public opposition to embracing the facts about global warming and the opposition to taking action, and the opposition to reacting to the dangers of lead back in the 1930s and 1940s. The parallels are striking. There are differences too, though. In the case of lead, the dangers were (while severe) mostly local, and had insignificant long-lasting impacts. For global warming, that's not the case, unfortunately. I even more firmly believe that this will be the issue that defines our generation.

I've written and rewritten and then deleted posts about the democratic candidates for this presidential election. (Like we are all SO lacking in coverage of this). Bleah. Enough said.

I've been extremely flightly lately. My mind has been flitting from subject to subject, unable to land and ponder anything for more than a few minutes. Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe it's my age catching up to me. Or maybe it just is what it is (DH's favorite saying and one that royally pisses me off unless I'm the one saying it).

DH is down in Georgia tonight because it is exactly two years since his brother died from pancreatic cancer. That's probably doing a number on me, too. Two years is a long and short time. Life is beautiful and devastating. It is what is it is (shut UP!!!).

Go Patriots!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Free association writing. Gotta love it.

Anonymous said...

about missing friends...I miss them and they don't even live far. since I started working full-time, time with friends has taken a hit
:-(
and so true life is brutal. Savage and lovely all at the same damn time. Hugs on the anniversary.
LT