Thursday, February 07, 2008

in the words of Emily Litella, "never mind."

When I was in high school, my friend Bev (who was just a total cut-up) used to do this act where she'd run up to a ball to pick it up but "accidentally" kick it at the last minute, and then repeat it over and over. We'd all double over laughing because she played the part so well. Her face would light up with anticipation of picking up the ball and fall dramatically as it would bounce further away out of her reach.

Well.

Here's the gorgeous floor, poly'd up and shining in our room. This is the last big thing that needs to be done. After the floor is done, it's just minor touchups, trimwork, hanging the ceiling fan, etc.



And here is what the floor looks like next to our existing floor (which it is supposed to match).


Sigh. It looks even more off in real life than in the picture. It'll be fixed - I talked to our contractor this morning, and our contract clearly states that the floor is to match our existing floor. But fixing it will entail sanding off the new finish and restaining it and doing it all over again. So my ALMOST finished room remains ALMOST finished for yet another week.

Please note my loverly toes in the picture. I didn't know you could see them when I took the picture, but I left them in on purpose. I had a pedicure for the first time in about 2 decades last weekend and my toes have never looked so beautiful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, yeah, that doesn't quite seamlessly match, eh? I love the color of the new floor. Why don't you just sand off the old floor to make it match? ;)

You know how much I hate feet. But boy do your toes look purdy.

J said...

Your toes were going to be the first thing I mentioned until I read the last paragraph. :-) What color is that? It's a great color. I want it.

I admit I can't really see the color difference. Can they really stain it closer or is it a matter of time and light? Floor color is slightly mismatched throughout our house as we've replaced icky carpet and flooring, though it's less and less noticeable as years pass.

What we really need to do is clear out the entire house and have the whole thing refinished. I won't hold my breath for that, however.

Ruthie said...

Your toenails look gorgeous! :D

Anonymous said...

OMG I love your toes so much--I think that's exactly what I need this week along with a long overdue haircut. Good luck with the floor..LT

Kanga Jen said...

Mare (fw) - I thought about that. Our floors will eventually need a complete refurbishment.

J - I have no idea what the polish color is. E helped me pick it out. (She selected sparkly gold for her manicure).

Ruthie and LT - thank you!!

The floor people came back today and I spoke to the owner for a long while. I decided to believe her since she's been doing this forever. She was as nice and accommodating as could be and was ready to strip and stain if I wanted to. She told me it's the finish that darkens and yellows, and that within about a year, the floors should be pretty close to the existing ones. So I'm going with that. She told me to call her if I ever am unhappy with it and they'll come out and fix it.

So they applied the finish coat and I'm getting high on the fumes. Wheeeeee!!!

Mama Moose said...

I had a dream about your new sunroom, so you do have readers and apparently they're crazy. I was at your house and you were running your own business...ever considered that?

Having worked in construction, it's going to be very hard to match the wood -- age, UV rays, etc. Good luck with find the right stain though.

Kanga Jen said...

MM - that's hilarious!! My own business? I would love that - but I have no creative ideas as to what it would be.

I'm feeling better about the floor. The owner came by to talk to me and was extremely helpful. (she was very good at customer relations). It's not going to match well for a year or so and probably won't ever match perfectly. I tell you what though, it's GORGEOUS now with the finish coat on.

Thanks for stopping by! I miss your blog posts, by the way!