Tuesday, February 19, 2008

here we go again

I swear I try to come across as all intellectual and cultured and stuff, yet every year I find myself pouring multiple glasses of Cabernet for myself as I curl up on the couch with my little daughter to watch American Idol. And I enjoy it. And I'm not embarrassed by it. Yes I am. No I'm not. Yes, no. whatever. I watch it. Me and my 9 year old, we are in synch.

Thoughts from tonight:
Daughter E and I (since we ARE a team) rated the contestants on a "hell no" ("for goodness sake, no way" in her case) , a "check minus (OK but weak), a check (pretty good), and a check+ (you rock and you make me want to cry) scale. We both had 3 check pluses tonight , and we had the same three guys. (I do NOT bias her, and any of you who really know E know it is impossible to influence her in any shape or form. The fact that we had had the same 3 pluses makes me think we have the final 3 figured out in a lock. Place your bets now.)
Our three winners:
1. Little young guy David Archuleta (17 y.o. ) who sounds like Rick Astley but isn't so programmed and looks MUCH more normal. I want to pinch his little cheeks.
2. Jason Castro (20), the white guy with the dreadlocks. He's cute. I want to pat his head.
3. Michael Johns (29) the Australian dude who mom thinks is really hot. I'm not going to go any further with this. Mom thinks he's hot. E thinks he sings good. Hmm.

For the other guys, I went through a complicated rating system whereby I called in only if neither of us voted "hell no" (or in E's case, that sweet little innocent "no"). One vote for a "check", two votes for two checks, and three votes for the 3 big winners in our household. Only for my daughter would I swim through a bottle of Cabernet to figure out how many times to vote for who.(It's not all that easy to figure out the "I" "D" "O" "L" numbers on a phone in a semi-dark room.

For geez sake, I can't believe we enjoy this blatently marketed show so much. I am ashamed for my family.

Yes I know it's programmed. Yes, I'm turned off by the marketing already in place by so many of the Final 24 (Have you googled their names? LOL!!!! Websites! Merchandise!) . But mostly yes, I'm having a blast sharing this with my 9 year old. Mare, if you lived near me, you know we would LIVE at each other's house and my E would be your clone. Sigh. I miss you!!!!! Wanna move to Virginia? Didn't think so. :-(

I miss my Mare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be able to watch AI with you guys every week, I am tempted to consider moving :)

Going into the show tonight David was my favorite. And though I voted for him first, I am currently still dialing and voting for Dreadlocks Boy from Rockwall, Texas, which is where my former father in law lives and is a really nice little country town. I loved his performance. I also love the Aussie. They are my top three, but I do like the first two more.

Did not like the first guy. Jailhouse Rock was a disaster. Something about that kid's mannerisms bugs me. I want to really like Colton but I was unimpressed tonight. I always prefer the boys to the girls, so it will be hard to find a girl I like as much as these two boys I think.

You need a web cam and we can watch the show together. Oh wait. time difference. Hmmm...we could Tivo it and then watch together...it could work.

Kanga Jen said...

You had the same top three we did!!!

We could always move to Colorado. But now that we have this sunroom, I'm not leaving my house!!!

Miss you...