Monday, February 18, 2008

for love of dreary


It's a great morning here. It's raining. I love dark, gray days with constant rain. I know that in some way holds a clue to my personality, but exactly what that is, I don't know. It rained gently all night last night, too. I had a full bed, and that's with DH on the couch. Both kids and the dog were cuddled up with me. After yesterday, there was no way E was going to sleep anywhere but pressed right up beside me. It was cozy and wonderful and I have a very small little girl who (usually) loves her mom very much. I'm taking it while I can.

Last night, after a dinner out at Outback, we all four settled down to watch dinosaur documentaries on the high def Discovery Channel. Once the kids went to bed, DH and I "watched" (i.e., punctuated by drifting in and out of sleep) pieces of Cast Away, which I'd never seen before. Can I say "Wow?" I'm going to watch it again without the drowsiness. From what I saw, it was a powerful comment on silence. The thread of life is there for all of us, somewhere in our silence, but it's easy to lose it in our own self-fashioned lives. May be that's the reason that I love dreary rainy days. When you are forced to be still for a moment and let the clutter and costuming fall away, you see that - you're still here. I've written and rewritten many comments about this this morning, but I've deleted them all because it just sounds so silly and cluttered. Best to leave it as it is - in stillness and silence.

In other news, we got our Fenway tickets in the mail this week!!! DH and I have been trying to decide the best cable sports package to buy to see as many games as possible, and have been dreaming of sitting out in the hot tub (which remains to be researched and bought) with the XM radio listening to games. Bring it on.

2 comments:

J said...

Hot tub? High-def TV? Baseball games?

Maybe we should be visiting you!

JeepGirl said...

Hi-def, 42-inch TVs and hot tubs ROCK! I want a hot tub!