Sunday, August 20, 2006

retreat



Saturday night I slept for 11 straight hours...no small feat for me, aka The Insomniac (t.m.). Many thanks to the YRUU (Young Religious Unitarian Universalists) group who aided me in this accomplishment by keeping my awake during our summer kick-off-the-year overnight retreat on Friday night. :-)

Things I learned during the retreat:

1. I am completely unable to formally speak in front of a group. I'm not kidding, not even a little bit. This is something I totally suck at.

2. Even the best-laid plans are often most suited for bird cages. Toss that agenda, pull out the djembes, dim the lights, and listen to the hours pass.



3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will (apparently) never become outdated.

4. I am so NOT ready for my kids to be teenagers, despite the YRUU kids being great and all. It's just the realization of the kinds of issues that they face every day, the emotions they are testing, their passion, and their concerns that make me chew the insides of my cheeks.
I prefer worrying about whether Monster House is too scary for them or what kind of backpacks to buy for this year.

No comments: