Saturday, August 05, 2006

grateful

Lynne, one of my cyber friends (that's cyBER, not cyBORG in case any of you are wondering) keeps a blog and has urged her readers to write a grateful list. As usual, Lynne is full of good ideas so I'm going to take her up on it.

You've got to start a list like this with the obvious things.

I am grateful for:
1) my husband, who always thinks of me and the kids first. I can always count on him to be looking out for us. And besides all that, I love him.
2) my two children. When they were born, it was a step-function. I had my life ---> here, and then suddenly it was ---> there. They introduced me to an entirely new world. And I love them.
3) my friends. My basket is overflowing with the most marvelous friends in the world. I'm not sure what I did to have so much good karma come back at me, but as far as friends go, I've got the best. Many are here with me, and we share our children and our daily lives and our liberal mindset in the world of the southeast US, some live half a continent away and I've known them my entire life and how can you even comment on the value of that without sounding like a Barry Manilow song, and some live half a continent or so away and I've known them for half my life and it still sounds like a Barry Manilow song to talk about what they mean to me (Hollie!) and some I met and know through the internet, which sounds trite, but is very deep and very lasting (is 10+ years enough to convince you?). I am humbled by the love they shower on me every day. They all feed my soul daily and I love them.
4) my family! My parents and sisters are my core. They are who I am. And I love them.

Then we get to the less obvious:

I'm grateful for
5) diet Dr. Pepper and cheetoes
6) salsa
7) red wine
6) the smell of sauted onions and garlic
7) my job. I love my job, I love being part time, I love having flexible hours, I love being a scientist. I have the most ideal situation in the world for myself. I go to work and get excited when I walk into my office (nerdy yes, but it's the truth) I couldn't ask for a more fulfilling professional life. I believe in what I do, I am challenged by what do, and I love it.
8) humor. Sometime's it's the only response left.
9) my health. So far so good.
10) the internet. Talk about making the world a smaller place!
11) Roxy!! So far, she is an awesome dog. And ultra cute and smart to boot.
12) The incredible elementary school my kids go to. The teachers have all been amazing and they treat my children with respect.
13) Unitarian Universalists. So they may be a bit elitist at times, so they may be agonizingly non-definitive, but they are accepting and loving and hold fast to the ideal world where every human is valued equally, despite race or gender or sexual orientation or financial background. I cried at the service this morning when one of my lesbian friends spoke out about what she faces daily simply because of who she is, and what it means to her to know that there is a community that accepts her because of who she is, not in spite of it. You know? I am PROUD to be able to say I define myself as one.
14) The generosity of people. I faced that in waves this summer in Austria and was blown away. People who will pick up virtual strangers to take them to the airport (1.5 hours away) at 5 am in the morning? They're just being nice because it's a good thing to do. Joy.
15) snow. I love that my family skis.
16) autumn. My favorite season. Such a co-mingling of new beginnings in the middle of the end of the life cycle. Such an amazing juxtaposition. Plus the cool weather and blue skies are nice.
17) 400 count egyptian cotton sheets
18) MUSIC!!!!! It drills me to the core when I hear the right song at the right time.
19) my grandmother. She is 98(?) now and mentally spry and doing well. I hope I am as lucky. She is inspirational. When I was at the funeral of my grandfather several years ago, I saw her sitting at the viewing and went to sit beside her. I held her hand and wondered what I could say to someone who had lost their companion of 75 years. She squeezed my hand and leaned over and told me "I don't know who half of these people are!" I loved that she had humor then.
20) memories. Thank you Mare, for the memories DVD. (all of them! The one you made me for our 40th birthday, too!) I love remembering.
21) the telephone. I've been using that a lot lately...both to stay in touch and to keep up with my volunteer duties. How would I cope without it??!!!
22) stars. The universe. Carl Sagan.
23) my age. Suddenly, I'm at the place where I don't care so much what I look like, but care what I feel like instead.
24) babies. Not just my own, but all of them. I love the 4-5 month old age where they kick their legs and wave their arms and smile with the most joy I have ever seen expressed in another human before.
25) Friends. Did I say that already? It bears repeating again. I was recently asked (at a YRUU training) what superhero I would be. I answered Mrs. Incredible. I want to have stretchy arms so I can reach out and wrap up all the people I love in a huge embrace. You want to know my definition of "heaven"? You just heard it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that I'm greatful for is knowing you. One of the things that I wished was knowing you better whenever we were much younger.

trouble.

Kanga Jen said...

Awww - you're too sweet.

You wouldn't have thought much of me when we were younger. I was SO #$@(* SHY!!! Those pictures Mare sent from HS made me realize even more how different I am now. I was afraid to breathe in HS.

But wouldn't it be fun to go back and do it again knowing what we do now?

Thanks, TM. :-)

PM

Anonymous said...

Thank you... You act like I didn't know you in school. I remember you more than you know. I was so shy, that I put up a good front. LOL. Not too many people even knew that I was a nice guy back then. I didn't let just anyone know that. If someone even said hello to me back then, I'd turn red as a beet. LOL... I still do sometimes! LOL.... I wander what I would have turned out like if I knew then what I know now.

Trouble