Saturday, May 26, 2007

yuck yuck yuck

Family pizza/movie night was last night and I picked up "Supersize Me" for me and DH to watch. Bleah. I watched it while eating pizza (granted it was veggie but still). I felt like the grease was oozing out of my pores.

I think the movie was more than a bit over the top but you cannot argue with the facts about how unhealthy our country is becoming. And the obese kids. Wow. I don't think suing the fast food industry is the answer, but I do think we need to allocate more public dollars to advertising for healthy eating and for providing better foods at schools. Our CULTURE promotes unhealthy eating and inactivity. We've got to turn our culture around somehow.

I gave my kids soup with whole wheat crackers, fresh watermelon, applesauce, baby carrots, and soy milk for lunch today. They didn't complain actually - it's not so different than I usually give. DH and I are going to enter a battle over stopping at McDonalds after baseball games though.

In any case...
E and I are taking off in a little bit to go watch Shrek III at the movie theater. I can GUARANTEE you I won't eat any popcorn. I'll probably buckle and let her have some though. It's all about moderation, not exclusion.

Ack.
Half a pound of french fries in a supersize pouch. Isn't that BEYOND absurd?

6 comments:

Kelly Senf said...

Ariel saw parts of that movie at Granny's house over a year ago and still refuses to eat at McDonald's. Whataburger's OK, though.

Kanga Jen said...

I'm sure Whataburger is *much* better. :-) I love Whataburger. And Sonic, too.

I just can't get over the half a pound of french fries. BLEAH!!!!!!

Jen

Ruthie said...

I quit McDonald's after watching that movie.

Ew.

I still avoid fast food. It's done me good.

Anonymous said...

We don't do fast food except around grandkids. I do splurge on popcorn, and it has transfats! (Sure tastes great!) I'll walk it off tomorrow.

J said...

I've managed to just about eliminate transfats and hugh fructose corn syrup from the family diet. We have the (very) occasional trip to fast food (no Whataburgers or Sonics around here, sadly) - but keep everything at the smallest size and extra portions of fresh fruit are required on those days.

But Oreos are not Oreos without the transfats. And imitation Oreos are not the same. Since I find Oreos one of the few things I can't really give up, I try for the moderation angle. Then I have just one more and try to justify it by dipping it in organic, no growth hormone milk...

Kanga Jen said...

LOL at dipping oreos in organic, no GH milk. :-)
You must be with me on the "diet coke and candy bars cancel each other out" theory too, huh?

Oreos - yes a necessary part of life. And cheetoes. In my heaven, those would be health foods.