Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rites of spring

In addition to the sound of balls slapping into a glove and the ping of a bat, the smell of popcorn and hot dogs and the cries of "Play Ball!!!," there are certain other rites of spring that I celebrate. One in particular is close to my heart - the spring band concert:



There are my son Q and his duplicate overachiever best bud R. They were singled out for winning "superior" ratings on their solos, which were level 2 (no one else in 5th grade attempted a level 2). Excuse me while I preen my proud mommy feathers for a little bit. Preen preen preen.

I should add for the benefit of Mare...Note that Q and best friend R are 1st and 2nd chair clarinets. His other friends are M (first chair trombone) and J (first chair sax). The band clique continues. Does that give you a warm fuzzy?

It was a fun concert and I came fully decked out ready to totally and completely embarass my offspring. My still flash camera was around my neck and I also carted in my video camera. At one point during "We Will Rock You" when I was attempting to juggle filming video with my left hand and taking still photos with my right, I dropped my camera and took a nice bright flash photo of my lap. Friend Jamie (R's mom) and I dissolved into giggles. I decided I should probably just sit back and enjoy.


"MOM!!!!! Do you HAVE to take my picture????"
"Yes, and not only that, I am going to parade you right over to friend K's house so she can take a picture of you out on her deck in front of the mountain laurel. So there."



Here is Q with his awesome first band director, Mr. Collins (of Isley Brothers fame). Q adores him. He's a total nut case and is a true typical band director, complete with dumb jokes and wiseass comments that make the kids think he's as close to god as you can get.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snicker! Wasn't that the absolutely best concert you've ever heard?

Kanga Jen said...

Yes!!!!
You should have seen the standing ovation, cheering/whooping/shouting at the end. Obviously, that was the best concert that ANY of us there had ever heard. :-)

J said...

Oh, fun!

Our 5th grade band concert is on the 5th. (Reminds me that he needs to be at school at 7:45 tomorrow for a lesson - yawn.)

His instructor wants him to a summer music festival this summer at the local conservatory. Unfortunately it conflicts with sailing classes, which he also loves. Poor guy doesn't know what to do.

Your band director sounds awesome. Ours it totally annoying, even if he did just win a state music instructor of the year award.

Lynne Thompson said...

YES! We had ours last night. Katherine is a first chair flute and didn't even know it! She got an A+ in band and she composes her own songs. I also got to hear her sing in the chorus--what a night!
WHoo-hoo. They actually did the Overture-1812 (5th grade!).

Ruthie said...

Hold on... Mr. Collins? As in, Everett Collins? Really?

I'm giggling over your mommy preening and picture-taking. That'll be me in five years. I can already see the signs.

Anonymous said...

Come on Mom,,,, "pirated" audio clip??? Just a second or two of it? purrty please? LOL..... I would have loved to hear it and although Boone is too young to play just yet(I think), I hope that he pursues it.... K-man is only interested in ROTC and football.....

trouble

Kanga Jen said...

J and Lynne - fun times! Too bad C doesn't have a great band director. They're a fun, odd lot, overall (I'm from a family full of them). Lynne, yay for K composing her own songs!!! Does she perform them ever? (video!!)

Ruthie - yes, that is Everett Collins, drummer for the Isley Brothers for a stretch of time. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I met him earlier this year when Q was signing up for band and I figured out who he was. Q thinks he hung the moon.

Trouble - I'll see if I can convert our VHS video to digital and put a piece of the concert on Youtube. LOL... Everett Collins actually played the trap set with the band during one song. He kept it very very tame though. Shame - I was hoping for an all out solo...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd be more apt to listen to the kids playing instead of Mr. Collins.... I can always hear them on the radio. They come on the station that I listen to some times. Ya'll sure are doing a wonderful job raising your kids, J....

I still remember Pete's spring concert like it was yesterday and although Mom made me go kicking and screaming(well, kinda. LOL)... I go over to his house all the time and listen to Him and Kim play.....

TTYL,
Trouble.

Kanga Jen said...

Trouble wrote:
"Ya'll sure are doing a wonderful job raising your kids, J...."

Aw - thank you for saying that!! I don't talk about all the dumb parenting things I do in this blog, so you get a biased view of me. ;-)

I hope Boone gives music a try - for a while at least. I think the combo of music and sports is perfect, personally...

Cheers!!