Sunday, February 25, 2007

moving along

I don't normally get very into things like the Oscars anymore now that I'm an "adult "and all, but I am so ready to drink several glasses of wine, get into my jammies and curl up on the couch to watch them tonight (I've already started on the wine). The fact that B&K are moving is becoming more and more real, and I'm oscillating between being sad and being totally pissed off (at who or what, I don't know. It's pissed off without any particular direction). In any case, I'm in the mood to remove myself from reality for just a little while. Their daughter L was here for more than 24 straight hours this weeked. She and E played and giggled and snuck into my makeup and watched movies and giggled some more and lived in a fantasy world of horses and pink and puppies that only 8 year old girls can inhabit. They are going to miss each other so much. And that doesn't even get into the whole me me me thing, in which I will miss my friend K so much. Shit shit shit. Neighbor M - thank you for showing up when you did and moving in right next door to me. Don't go anywhere. I need you. This means YOU.

So apparently I'm going through a mini-mid-life crisis. After cutting about 3 or 4 inches of my hair off myself (it's really not so bad - it was much too long before and it looks pretty good now, if I do say so myself) I went and did this:



Hope that photo doesn't gross you out being that my ears are still kind of irritated and red. I already had two holes on each side and went for three. At least I'm not buying red convertables eh?

Hey, I had an enjoyable night last night. We had a movie night with my YRUU teens, in which we snacked on veggie pizzas and watched Boys Don't Cry. What an awesome movie. Hilary Swank is such an artist. When I screened the movie before our movie night, it was so upsetting to me that I had to pause it and get up to leave the TV several times. I had serious doubts about showing it to the kids - not because it's a subject I think anyone should shy away from (hate crimes against transgender people) but because it was so intense and disturbing. It ended up that the older guys in YRUU were the only ones who showed up, so I was OK showing it to them. We had a very interesting discussion afterwards and I am so glad to know that there are such thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive souls that are perched at the brink of adulthood. It gives me hope. I love these kids. My current plans for next year are to drop this part of my life since I am going to be the PTA president and doubt I'll have room for anything else but I am beginning to realize how much I'll miss these YRUUs. I don't know what to do. I don't want someone else to be the one to shepherd them through their senior year (most of them are juniors this year) but I don't know how I can do everything I want to do. If I could give up sleep I'd have so much more time and would be so much happier. What to do!!??

My sweet DH is off to South Dakota again this week. I have a science team meeting next week that I must must must prepare for and a PTA meeting one night and babysitting for K another night and bathrooms to clean and clothes to wash and babies (children) to care for. Life feels like it's spiraling out of control but I'm clinging to the edges to hang on. Good thing I've got that third hole in each ear to bolster me. Whatever would I do otherwise?

2 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

A thoughtful, beautiful post! And you made me laugh at the end--somehow it's true though, that third hole lets people know you still GOt it (and it lets yourself remember that too!). I don't know what I would do PTA--or youth group? we can't do it all. And BIG HUGS about your treasured pals moving. It sucks, there is no denying it, but hopefully you will keep in touch and the kids will learn a valuable lesson about loss--that we can move through it and survive it and treasure the good times that we had with our loved ones...yes? At least, that is what we hope can happen (it still sucks!) WHAH! for you...Love, Lynne

Kanga Jen said...

Thank you sweet Lynne. :-) You always have something kind and thoughtful to say.

I know you totally understand about good friends leaving since you've been through it. I know it'll never be exactly the same as it is now but change is spicy and is ultimately good. We've got a reason to vacation in Madison, Wisconsin now. :-)

Jen