Saturday, January 13, 2007

wink

My local grocery store has the most awesome wine selection of any place within a 50 mile radius of my house, surprisingly enough. There is the equivalent of 3 full aisles full of wine - much more than specialty wine stores around here, with plenty of selections from my southern hemispheric favorite wineries in Australia, South Africa and Chile. I don't know why they have invested so much of their resources in wine selection, but I am holding my breath that a shift in the winds doesn't change their minds. This is a GOOD thing.

They also have an employee who, apparently, is the dedicated wine steward. He is a gray-haired elderly gentleman with a slow smile who enjoys talking, especially to the ladies. He is, in fact, a shameless flirt. He has thus far convinced me to buy Sherry (which I NEVER drink) and a bottle of Californian Chardonney, when I am a staunch *red* wine fan. He told me today he was watching me look over the frozen peas and thought I was quite attractive and had been hoping I'd come by his little wine tasting display. The fact that this didn't offend me or gross me out is a testiment to his style. What a smooth operator he is. Just the right touch of flirtatious compliments coupled with a respectful distance. Thus the Sherry and the Chardonney sitting unused in my wine rack.
Flirtation - it goes a long way, baby. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flirts just have a sense of whom to flirt with, PM. But, I guarantee you one thing, they don't flirt with "unpretty" women for a second. Don't sell yourself short, PM. You're quite the looker and I love your brains and wit among many.... I saw some Australian wine in the store the other day and thought of you. Still didn't buy it though! LOL. Kinda poor right now, but the bottle that I ended up buying was 18 damn dollars! LOL.... Oh and get this, the one that I really wanted was 35! LOL... 35 bucks to feel bad the next day, Man, I could do wanders with 35 extra bucks! LOL... just kidding, PM.....

we finally got our dose of winter down here... who's for duck soup!

Trouble

Kanga Jen said...

Hey trouble!
So you are a bonafide flirt too? :-)

I don't think I've ever paid 35 dollars for a bottle of wine! (cheapskate - that's me).
Lindeman's Cabernet (should be less than 10) is great. As is Jacob's Creek Reserve Cabernet (about 10 or so).

I hear you guys are getting some winter weather! We had temps about 30 or 40 today, but NO snow, NO sleet, NO cold rain, even. I want a good long weekend of horrible cold winter weather so I can put a fire in the fireplace and drink hot chocolate (or wine). And let's make it when my dear husband isn't in Sioux Falls, like he is this week. Ack.

Enjoy the cold weather and duck soup! :-)

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not a bonafide flirt, I'm just alot more outgoing that I ever used to be. I guess I'm proof that no matter how bad you used to be, you grow as a person and eventually shed your "juvenile days"... I always tell someone whenever they look nice or tel them that their new hairdo looks good on them and it comes straight from the heart. No alterior motives or anything like that. If that's called being a flirt, then I guess that's me.

Yes, we finally got our yearly one time dose of winter and of course, all the news media people are having an absolute field day. Give me a break. I certainly do the same with the fireplace. I don't drink very often at all any more, but I tend to drink merlots because I dont' know if I'd like a cabernet or not and don't want to have to drink it if I buy it. LOL.. I don't care how bad it tastes, if I bought it, by God, I'm gonna drink it! LOL.

Man that sux that J is in Soux Falls.... I bet he's frezzing his ass off...

Hah, I got home yesterday and someone left the gate open(I busted my can for 2 weekenends putting up a new fence and sliding gate) and the friendly neighborhood dogs helped themselves to the trash can. Looked like they had their versions of duck soup. LOL...

TTYL.... Pete said Hi. I think you remember him, don't you?

Trouble.

Kanga Jen said...

I do - Hello back to him. :-)

Jen