Wednesday, January 17, 2007

for a song

Aye. I'm going through itunes issues again.
I've been clicking and buying tons of songs tonight. In particular, I'm on a big 38 Special roll. (Hey Mare, guess who I saw in concert!!)

When is the last time you've closed all the blinds in your house, turned up a good song until it was blasting, and just danced all on your own?

It did myself good to do that today. I screwed up something important at work and am trying to convince myself I'm not the architect of the end of the universe. You know what? The earth is going to continue to orbit the sun despite my screw-up. Go figure. I guess I'm not as all-important as I seem to think I am sometimes... Huh.

So - what do you think the magic of music is? Sometimes when I am drunk on wine and sitting with my feet up, drifting into the nether regions approaching sleep, and I imagine myself as a particle in this magical and mysterious universe, the one connection that I imagine I can feel with the rest of the cosmos out there is music. Wonder why it's so unifying - so universal? It kind of crosses the logical and the emotional realm at the same time. It follows the rule of rhythm and repetition, but touches something deeper, too.

5 comments:

JeepGirl said...

You lost me at " sitting with my feet up in the nether regions." What the hell?

Did you really see 38 Special in concert? I know someone else that did too....a LONG time ago. She just kept talking about it and talking about...

And just for the record...I have NEVER closed my blinds and danced. Because I can't dance. I'm so white bread.

Kanga Jen said...

LOL!
OK, I added a comma and a word or two to clarify. Punctuation.

I didn't say you had to dance WELL (by whose standards anyway?)

Jodie said...

I last cranked tunes and danced (with the blinds OPEN, but it was light outside) on Monday. Its REO Speedwagon for me, though. Good times, good times.

"If you're tired on the same old story, turn some pages...."

Anonymous said...

Music is just one of the things that makes everything in tune with everything else to me. Plants like it, animals like it, We like it. LOL... I wished that I would have had a better appreciation of it whenever I was young enough to actually play an instrument. I used to like to dance in the kitchen or the living room with the boys whenever they were younger. I babysat my neice once and Pete came over to pick her up and although he didn't say anything, I could tell that he was mad because I was listening to some devil kind of country music(it was Shania, give me a break) and dancing with Sami... Whoa, potna! LOL. Oh, I got a chance to see 38 Special in concert with Jerry in 80 or 81, something like that. They opened for Jefferson Starship at the Summit here in H town. Tell Jodie that I also saw REO 4 times. Great in concert

Lynne Thompson said...

well there is that whole music of the spheres thing. everything vibrates--music touches the harmonies and reminds you that everything is dancing to a rhythym just like you are:-)
or not.--LT