Sunday, January 07, 2007

holes and lists with a mix of new age

I've started digging this hole and it's getting deeper and deeper. I'm playing with the idea of running for PTA president next year. I can't decide if I'm delusional or just stupidly naive. I am not a stay-at-home soccer mom politics-playing sort of gal, you know? I never in a million years thought I would utter the words "PTA president" and "thinking about running for..." in the same breath. But I'm not seeing a lot of other options. Part of me wants the challenge, while the other part is wondering how far I'll kick myself if I do end up as president. I'll keep you posted. That hole is looking very deep.

I spent the morning with the YRUUs starting our new curriculum "Words to Live By: Creating a Personal Credo." It's a program to explore your personal goals and values and spirituality so that you are able to articulate it through a "credo". I asked the kids if they were ready to contemplate their belly-buttons. I got confused and embarrassed stares because none of them had ever heard that expression before. ????? Yowza. Don't know how I'll like the curriculum. I actually played new age music this morning while I led them on a guided meditation. I tried not to laugh - I really did. We'll make adjustments and it'll be good. They are all so busy they don't get a lot of time to "think." (Who does?) So I think they'll enjoy it, as long as I don't do too many of those guided meditations or take the new age-ness feeling too seriously.

Speaking of which, I'm tired of thinking deep thoughts tonight but still feel like writing, so I'll create a list. Woo Hoo! I love lists. I really do. Comes from that need to be in control. When things are listed, you control them. Isn't that obvious?

So here are some things that I love that have happened to me recently (in no meaningful order):

1. When I get home from work and open the front door to the smell of a crock pot roast that has been simmering all day long. It's especially nice when I've forgotten I ever put it in the crock pot to begin with.

2. Lounging on the couch with my son. Every time, I wonder if it's the last time he'll let me cuddle him. He's getting bigger every day but is still such a little boy right now.

3. The feel of freshly washed flannel sheets and the smell of spice candles. Mmmm bedtime.

4. Unexpected (impromptu) dinner invitations.

5. The little half-meow my cat makes when he's too sleepy to meow properly but still loves me enough to want to tell me hello when I go plop down on the bed beside him.

6. A particular place along a hiking trail in the park where you are up on a ridge and can see the Taskinas creek meandering through the marsh well off into the distance. You can see the York River way off on the horizon through the very large tree trunks. It's all so much better too, when two lovely children are hiking with you.

7. Singing silly songs to my friends over the phone. This is especially fun when you've all had a glass or two of wine and a nice dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

#3: Hmmmm, bedtime. It was our favorite time of the day in college.

Betsy said...

2. Lounging on the couch with my son. Every time, I wonder if it's the last time he'll let me cuddle him. He's getting bigger every day but is still such a little boy right now.

Andrew is 14 and definitely NOT a little boy anymore. It's cute, though, he still loves to snuggle up with his daddy. So far his affectionate nature has overcome the drag of puberty. :-)