Thursday, November 17, 2005

there are all kinds of folks out there... so beware

Before I picked the kids up from chess club this afternoon, I swung by the grocery store to pick up some medicine for Callias.

-> aside -> I feel so weird getting her phenobarbital at the people pharmacy..."Name please?"..."Uh - Callias.". At first, I tried explaining that it was my dog, but that ended up being even weirder than having people think I'd named my child Callias.

-> back to the story ->
Anyway, while there, I also picked up a bottle of wine, some bocca burgers, and some whole wheat buns for dinner.

-> aside -> I am still trying to make my kids eat healthy, you see (BTW, the wine was for me, not the kids). I need to add the footnote that they both tried the veggie burgers, DESPISED them, and I ended up popping a couple of TV dinners I found in the freezer into the microwave. So much for their health.

-> back to the story ->
So I was in the quick check out line when one of the tallest men I've ever seen got in line behind me. He was young, twenty-ish looking, long-haired, kind of cool looking (at first glance). "Huh huh huh..." he laughed (nix the fleeting cool-looking thought...bleah). "You're having hamburgers and WINE for dinner?"

I laughed politely and made some inane comment, meant to close the conversation.

"Well you KNOW..." he insisted on continuing, "those police breath-eh-lizer tests won't pick up on wine. They can tell if you've been drinkin' beer, OH yeah. But not wine. You can be falling down DRUNK..." (and of course had to demonstrate) "...and they'll never KNOW!!!! Cause it just don't pick up on WINE. Heh, heh, heh."
And at this point the young HS guy working the cash register says, "Oh, I KNOW!"

Dilemma. Do I tell these two morons that they are, in fact, full of shit?"

But tall moron continues. "It's GREAT - unless of course you're so drunk you drive to the police station and crash into one of their cars in the parking lot. Heh heh heh. Or you know - if you drive there stinkin' drunk and ask them to use their breath-eh-lizer test to see if you're drunk. You know - that really happens. LIke, ALL THE TIME!"

I paid the guy and decided to let them learn for themselves that police breathalizer tests can, in fact, detect when you've consumed too much wine. Then it occured to me that these two are, in fact, driving around on the roads when I am out there.

Well then. Sleep well tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although, I've never been caught by any policeman's breath alyzer, I've had several "brushes" with the law and I've always come out on top. My life experiences is that if you keep your trap shut and keep your responses to "yes sir", "no sir" you don't have to worry about ANY kind of tests even though they know that you've been drinking and you aren't running into police cars and swerving all over the road, they just tell you to go straight home. I've never even been arrested before. Imagine that PM!!! You know all the stuff that I used to stir up too! If I had it to do all over again, I would have done so many things differently. The thought of these "youngsters" doing stuff like that scares the hell out of me.

Kanga Jen said...

Holly you are so funny.
FWIW, I did *not* go look it up in the dictionary.

For the rest of you - did I not go because I knew it was there or knew it was not there? Hmmmmm...

And yes, I suppose the two youngadult/kids *could* have been joking around and trying to pull my leg, but....Nah. I don't think they were smart enough to be good enough actors for that. You had to be there, I guess.