Tuesday, November 08, 2005

a break from the rat race


Today was election day. I would normally insert something like a sunny "I'm crossing my fingers!" or "I feel like this is our year!", but things have been so bleak for even moderate liberals that I simply don't have the energy. No energy for hope? What would Barrack Obama say?! In any case, the kids had the day off from school, meaning I had the day off from work.

We ran a few errands in the morning, including stopping by the polls. The afternoon was blissfully spent doing NOTHING but playing and walking out at a local park, Little Creek Reservoir, with neighborhood friends and the Jamies' kids. The new play area for this park has been under construction for, oh, more than a year and is actually still closed to the public. But since it's all in who you know, one of my neighbors is the acting director of the county's rec department, so when neighbor Greg called (yes, this is the Greg that darling E flipped off), Seth told us to just park on the road and hike in to the brand new playground, regardless of the "Closed" signs. This also meant we had the park to ourselves all afternoon. And what a glorious afternoon it was. Yowza. It got up to about 75, brilliant blue skies, and the trees are at their peak. Imagine a picture perfect autumn day, and there you have it. We hiked down to the reservoir, and the kids played with cattails from the lake's edge, hiked through the leaves, played frisbee and freeze tag at the playground, and just hung out all day. Here are a few pictures. (Just click on them to get a bigger version):


Beautiful red colors at the entrance. I'm not completly sure, but I think the brilliant reds are dogwood and maybe some oak.


Did I say I wasn't going to talk about the election? Well I lied. I found that going into the school today to vote, doing all the familiar things associated with that, brought out a wave of sadness like I wasn't expecting. Truly. I think many people believe that when people like me go on and on about depression and despondancy after last year's elections, that we're overdramatizing things, perhaps for a laugh. But no. Nope. I remember sobbing and sobbing while driving home last November, big fat tears like I haven't cried in some time. For about a month after the election, my friends and I would greet each other with long, heartfelt hugs. No words were necessary. The sadness among us was ubiquitous. Several of my friends couldn't go to work the next day. (seriously). Last year was beyond lunchroom discussions and esoteric kinds of political talk. Last year hurt like hell. I felt sucker punched and couldn't understand how so many people could be so ignorant. [Yah, OK, so I'm falling over into deep biases here, but this is how I feel.] I knew it hurt, but until I voted again today, I didn't realize how much my hopes had been pummeled.


Here is my sweetie during our walk. He and Robert spent hours balancing cattails on their fingers, noses, chests, ears, shoulders... They tried doing handstands and balancing them on their feet, but neither was tall enough to reach the other's feet whilst in a handstand. Funny boys. I think I can see a glimpse of teenaged Quinton peeking out at me from this picture.


This year, our governor is up for election. The current governor, Mark Warner is a Democrat and has ended up an extremely popular guy. He took the financial mess that our last Republican governor left the state in, and cleaned it up. Yes, I know that general economics has a lot to do with that, but he was able to work with a very conservative house and pull consensus decisions out of a hat. Don't know why we limit our governers to only 1 four year term around here. But we do. So now we've got another race to vote in. It's been ugly, too. The GOP candidate is just absolutely nasty, and I'm hearing that from all sides of the political spectrum. Yuck. Again, though, I have not much energy for hope. I think we fat and spoiled Americans have forgotten how to think, and are willing to be led around by our noses by corporations.


So all in all, I spent today in the most perfect way. We played and walked and talked and laughed and I didn't think again about the elections until we got home. I have faith that the pendulum continues to swing and that one day things will get better. I think. In the meantime, it sucks to be living through this mess. But it doesn't suck to be living.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Jen, you aren't the only one fed up. Early returns show VA and NJ gubernatorial races going to the Democrats! I'm watching the breaking news email alerts here at work before I go home for the evening.

Anonymous said...

I get passed fed up as well putting up with things that I have no control over as well. The only thing that makes me feel better is the 1 dart that I get to stick in their asses! I hope that it gets infected and they realize what a pain in the ass it is for them to know that their is one person that doesn't want them in office and whenever they shift in their chairs from sitting on their asses all day, that 1 dart gives them a real pain in the ass! Heehee....

Yes, I see You all over again in your younger years in your son. I absolutely get the call of the wild whenever I see beautiful pictures that you put on your blog of all the trees changing colors. Sorry that I haven't written much lately, I've actually been "allowed" to have the boys all week cause their Mom had some kind of allergic reaction to some type of steroid that she was taking. I'm not complaining though! Don't tell anyone, especially their Mom, but I was showing them some really good hiding places in the house during hide and seek. LOL... Staying in that old crappy trailer is just what you make of it. On the way to school today, Daniel told me that it's alot more fun to stay with me in that old crappy trailer than it is to stay on their yacht. I guess material things aren't that important to him either as long as he has his 10.00 light saver and his 1.99 machine gun not to mention a place to play and someone to play with. Especially someone that knows that you can hide on top of the washing machine and nobody would think of looking there! LOL. Kenneth and I watched this corny old western last night before he petered out around 9:30 or so and were loving the old one liners in there! I talked to their step-dad this morning and he asked me if I could just finish out the week "watching" them for him, and I was very surprised to hear a yippee from the boys. They were even doing their homework last night with their step sister whom they've always had a very rocky relationship with.

So see??? Not to preach or anything like that, but things could be much worse. I can only control the things that I can and make as many around me as happy as possible although others piss me off and it makes things alot better than walking around sad.

Cheer up PM, love comes from the darndest places sometimes and if you have your head down, you never see it coming and it goes right past you.

SR

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

The pictures look gorgeous! (And the kids always do. Totally I see the teen in Quinton. Psst: He and Bailey would still make a cute couple...)

Anyway, being like-minded in the main, I read your political commentary, too. ;-)

Then, later today, I was driving Bailey to a doc appointment, listening to a John Butler Trio CD and I thought, you know, Jen needs to know about this band, if she doesn't already.

Sample lyric:

So go now you go and you rape this Earth
You take her for what you think she'd worth
But you take and you take and you take til there's nothing left
I don't call that business, I call that theft

From: http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/JBTdisc-three.htm#7

Also check out:
http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/JBTdisc-jbtep.htm#2

((hug))

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures, dear one. Makes me wish I were with you. Mom

Kanga Jen said...

I wish you were here too!!