Tuesday, November 22, 2005

a blog worth bookmarking

I saw Barack Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention on T.V. I remember it clearly. We were in a hotel room (we were in Baltimore to see the Red Sox play the Orioles at Camden Yards) and fell asleep with the TV turned on to the convention. I woke up just as Barack Obama was beginning to speak and was absolutely electrified. (If the link works for you, try to *listen* to his speech - it's so much richer to hear him than to read it, though the words do speak volumes alone). I, like the most of the rest of the country, had no idea who this guy was, but I watched and listened to every word. His honesty, his style of speech, his youthfulness, his apparent integrity, and his intelligence, his love for this country shone out of that TV. He didn't come out with all the usual political phrases and partisan sniping. He spoke about *people*. I didn't know, the next morning, if his speech was as good as I remembered, but after taking a look in the papers and watching him soar to near celebrity staus after that night, I guess he really was that good. Things seem so freaking dark and corrupt in DC. He's like a beacon to me - "the audacity of hope" indeed. I suppose there's a danger in counting so much on someone, but I'm counting on you, Barack Obama, to take us back to a better place.

And to top it off, he even has a blog. ;-)
http://obama.senate.gov/blog/

Take us there, Barack...I'm behind you.

1 comment:

Mama Moose said...

Thanks for putting that link in -- I read the speech but have never seen it.