Thursday, January 01, 2009

A quiet start

It's much TOO quiet this New Year's Day morning.

Last night around 11 pm, Q's friend called from his house next door and asked if Q could just stay there and sleep over. Before I could answer I could hear E and her friend asking if E could sleep over too. I asked to speak to their dad, and suggested that the girls come over here and the boys stay there, but he said they wanted their kids to stay at their own house. Hmmm. So I reluctantly agreed - I figured my kids deserved to have some fun their own way, too on NYE. But I made them run home to give me some New Year's Eve hugs. I also made them promise to come home as SOON as they woke up on New Year's Day. Meanwhile, DH and I fell asleep on the couch watching TV.

Now this morning. Ack. DH is still sleeping, I've been up for a few hours, and I keep looking at my kids' empty rooms. (I know it's projecting, but I am not looking forward to the day when they move out.) Hopefully, they'll be back soon. It's much too quiet in a bittersweet way over here. I'd rather start the year off with the pattering and pounding of feet running across the floor and sleepy good morning hugs than even this peaceful quiet. Besides, I've bought a bunch of delicious breakfast foods for the year's first breakfast and I want to share it with them. I can't eat all those sweet rolls and sausage patties and hash browns myself...

Happy New Year to all!!!

5 comments:

Snowbrush said...

I liked your girls here and the boys there idea. I also see how such decisions must be hard for a parent-always trying to walk a safe line but not a too safe line. I only have dogs. They're a lot easier that way.

Lynne Thompson said...

I would be feeling sad too. Hope they joined you soon and you had your breakfast/brunch...LT

Kanga Jen said...

Snowbrush - my tendency is to be a typical helicopter parent, so I try very hard to remember to let my children have their own lives. The downside is that they are such a huge part of MINE that I feel very depleted when their plans don't include me. But so far so good - I'm not infecting them (much) with my neuroses.

Lynne - they came bee-bopping in right after I posted this, and were happy to see me and eat the breakfast I'd made. So all was good with the world.

Holly Jahangiri said...

I have bestowed an award upon your blog. Come to mine, and see. :)

Anonymous said...

You get used to it, J... you don't like it one bit, but, you get used to it. Love reading your blog. Happy New Year to all of ya'll....

Trouble.