Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thoughts on things that give me comfort

Rain. The sound and sense of soft, steady, cold rain while I'm in my bed or cozied up on the couch with a book makes me feel warm and drowsy. The idea that I am cocooned in a safe place, in my personal harbor against the rest of the world, gives me a sense of gentle power over my own destiny. It doesn't matter that in reality, any power I have is an illusion - it's the feeling of the moment that I cherish. I will also sit on the steps to watch the rain as it moves the trees and the grass. I look up at the clouds and marvel at how enormous the sky is. That a single drop of rain finds its way from the majesty of the sky to land on the leaf of the plant beside my foot makes me feel integrated with the world. I'm not a visitor on the earth, but I am of this world.

Nighttime. To watch the sky as twilight fades into darkness is magical. The cover of light that essentially blinds us to all but our local world slowly slips away, and the reality of our small place in the depth and breadth of the stars and galaxies can finally be seen. It as if the door to reality opens as the universe is revealed. I find this enormously comforting. I go to the night sky to remind myself that I am not the focus.

Odors. Baking bread and brewing coffee. Warm cookies. The bite of sauteing onions and garlic. The crispness in the air that comes with a clean and tidy house. The darkness of smell that comes with a wood fire in the fireplace. The smell of laundry fresh from the dryer as I hold its warmth in my arms. I picture these odors as lovely ribbons of dark color that slowly wrap around me.

Solitude. I am naturally a very solitary and quiet person. I enjoy the peace of solitude. I have tried to rewrite my genetic code to be more of a people-person but it never feels honest to me. I am most comfortable in the quietness of my family or one-on-one with a friend. There is too much beautiful simplicity in the air around me that I miss when the focus is on frenetic human activity. I find comfort in quiet.

Creativity. The act of baking. I find comfort in the repetition of kneading bread, of mixing ingredients, the feeling that I am nurturing and providing for my family. Cooking and baking is a creative experience for me. I love the idea of a recipe. In this, a final creation is broken down into its individual components, the combination of which is often surprising and larger than the sum of its parts. I feel much the same about knitting. (This is something I've given up over the last several busy years and would love to rediscover.)

Order. A clean and tidy house. I crave order. I would love to have a month and an unlimited budget to organize and clean my house. I am not very good at either cleanliness or order, so this is a constant struggle in my life. I realize that it sounds quite shallow and artificial, and much at odds with my love of the chaotic natural world. Perhaps I love science because it is a way to understand the workings of nature, and understanding brings a sense of order to the seemingly unstructured.

Connections. My friendships are devastatingly important to me. To find someone that is genuinely interested in me, in what I believe, in what scares me and what gives me comfort - is a treasure. These are friends that don't define me or pigeonhole me. It is a fluid relationship, and we find worth in the act of constantly changing and learning with each other. In real connections, there is no judgment, and differences are cherished as much as similarities. These connections are very rare, but that I have found some lasting ones gives me much comfort and peace.

8 comments:

Snowbrush said...

"The idea that I am cocooned in a safe place,"

I was always attracted to small boat cabins for much the same reason. I enjoy most small, enclosed spaces, and I especially like working under my house and in my attic--or at least I did before my physical problems prevented it.

"Baking bread and brewing coffee."

Yes to both, although I long ago gave up making yeast breads and turned to crackers, biscuits, and cornbread. These are religious exercises for me. I am especially enamored of crackers because they are so hardy, durable, and beautiful to look upon.

"Order. A clean and tidy house."

I clean house before most people would know it was dirty, and I need order. When Peggy and I cook together, she tends toward making the food and then cleaning up the mess, whereas I clean and put away as I go.

"My friendships are devastatingly important to me."

Whoa--that says a lot. Other than Peggy, I have no one who I count on very much. I think it possible that many of my friends think more of me than I do of them. It's just that I know how limited they are. Even when they mean well, there is little they can give in circumstances that don't require physical assistance. In fact, I rarely talk to anyone at a deep level.

Kanga Jen said...

Snowbrush,

Yes, I understand where you are wrt friendships. I picked the word "devastatingly" on purpose. I don't like that I depend so much on external validation. I don't think it's that healthy. But it's who I am. I get hurt (a lot, sometimes) because of it, but I also get a lot of joy. I think I just need to develop a stronger sense of self-confidence and take the friends for icing, rather than depend so much on them, you know?

Lynne Thompson said...

Beautiful writing, beautiful thoughts. I felt enveloped by your descriptions. Cooking is great--and the chemistry of it is magical. I feel very connected to my ancestors as I make the same recipes they did. I have my mom's cookbooks. The friend thing--that really is another area I am always trying to balance in my life..I love my solitude too, but need my friends. I actually gently released about three (older) friends and it really helped free up room for deeper, better friends! What a great post, ms Jen:-)

Snowbrush said...

I didn't stop depending upon people so much out of choice as out of the realization that I had simply seen more in them than what was there. I don't think of people as bad so much as limited. This naturally means me too.

"I think I just need to develop a stronger sense of self-confidence..."

If I may be so bold, this could be a chicken versus the egg conundrum.

All that said, women live longer than men, and one factor in their longevity might well be that they have closer friendships.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the mental pictures, Jen. You are so special to me.

JeepGirl said...

Well, I count myself lucky to be among your close friends :)

Kanga Jen said...

Mom - don't make me cry

and

Mare - ME TOO!!!!!

Hadass Eviatar said...

Beautiful, Jen! I just love the way you paint pictures with words.

I am proud and honoured to count myself your friend!