Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm liking 2009 already.....

Tonight, as I was working on the buffalo chicken to take over to our neighbor's house for their New Year's Eve party, Mare called me. She wanted to let me know that the two of us have tickets to the swearing in of Barack Obama as president of the United States of America on January 20, 2009.

(pause)

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! happy happy happy dance dance dance fist pump fist pump Whoot whoot whoot!!!!!!!!

(end pause)

It's gonna be tough. We'll have to drive up to DC the day before to pick up the tickets. On MLK day. With inauguration activities going on. And knowing that we'll have to be in Richmond by 5 am the next morning to catch the Amtrack train into DC. And we're a lot older now than we used to be...meaning creakier.

But I feel like I have been waiting for this to happen for so long. Aretha Franklin will be performing. And Barack Obama will be sworn in as president. And I'll be there. With Mare.

Things are looking up. So far, 2009, I love you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still smiling at the thought we got tickets!!!!

Hadass Eviatar said...

Have a wonderful time!!!! I'm envious.

Snowbrush said...

"We'll have to drive up to DC the day before to pick up the tickets. ..we'll have to be in Richmond by 5 am the next morning to catch the Amtrack train into DC."

So, you're driving to DC to get tickets, and then driving to Richmond to catch the train back to DC the very next morning?

Kanga Jen said...

Yes, that's the plan. (I'm only 40 minutes or so from Richmond). There's no way I wanted to drive to DC the day of the inauguration. We've got a train directly into the mall area so we won't even have to fight the metro crowds.

I've been waiting for this a long time...

Snowbrush said...

Ah, got it. I thought it must be something like that.

Years ago (early '80s), I spent a month or so in Richmond at a communal house called Mulberry. Most of the guys were gay (there were also a few women), and one was dying of a brain tumor. Peggy (my wife) and I seriously considered moving there, but the residents were so frying after a year or so of providing 24 hour care to the man who was dying that there was thought that the household might break up. Do you know of it?

Congratulations on your ticket to the inauguration. I'll think of you when I watch it.

Happy New Years!

Lynne Thompson said...

JEALOUS!!! But way happy for you, yay!