Thursday, January 22, 2009

crowded streets

You may recall that in my last post, I wrote that I am, at the core, a solitary person and I enjoy quiet and being alone. So you can maybe imagine my discomfort on Monday given the following:



There were more people there than I have ever been around in my life. At one point, we couldn't move very well for about 30 minutes, as we were in the middle of a large sardine crush. I was wondering how soon I would know if I were, in fact, being crushed to death. Would it happen quickly, or would I be aware during the whole thing?

Quite honestly, it was the perfect setup for a dangerous situation. There were too many people in the city relative to the preparations. There were not enough police, and not enough information dissemination. So many people, frustrated and crushed together, is a toxic combination.

But I was quite amazed and heartened by the fact that it never even almost went the bad direction. People were smiling and laughing at the situation (though obviously pissed off at what was happening in general). There was no taking out frustrations on each other. Rather, there was a feeling of being in a rotten situation together and what more could you do than share in it? We shared horror stories with other folks all day. We helped elderly ladies who were lost as we were strolling down the interstate, and laughed with people as they struggled to crawl over the medians.

I was there in DC to celebrate the end of a presidency that I abhored, the beginning of a presidency that I have much hope for, and the historic moment that it was wrt the inauguration of a black president. I did all of those things and enjoy the fact that I can say I was there. But the most striking thing for me that day was the realization that humans, en masse, might not be as bad as I have always assumed. There was mob patience shown that day, mob kindness, and a general wish to just share the moment with each other. It was a nice thing to learn.

5 comments:

Snowbrush said...

For another perspective...this is a blog I follow by a young Republican who was also there for the day. His post of yesterday covers his time in the crowd. I have not read his post for today.

http://justanotherlostcause.blogspot.com/

I am glad that it worked out for you to go and to enjoy it.

Kanga Jen said...

I know. I happened to follow the link on your blog to his right after I wrote this post and read about his nearly opposite experience. It completely burst my bubble. I'd hoped that my experience was reflective of the full picture, but now I see I was only lucky. Oh well.

Holly Jahangiri said...

In spite of the crowd - and crowds are about the only thing that can make me feel really claustrophobic - I'm still envious, but happy, that you were able to be there in person for this historic moment. I am glad I was able to view it live on the Internet - or at least half of it.

Me said...

Wow. Looking at your photos, I can tell you that things look a million times better from where you were compared to our location. I am glad that people were civil towards each other where you were at!

Contrary to Snowbrush's comment, I am anything but a Republican. Let's just get that clear! Haha.

Snowbrush said...

"Contrary to Snowbrush's comment, I am anything but a Republican"

A conservative, surely?