Monday, June 02, 2008

Le c'est finir

Last.PTA.meeting.

Done.

It was nice. It was a lovefest, as the last meeting of the year often is. I presented our principals with 8 new Shel Silverstein books for the library, from the PTA board. The principal gave me flowers and chocolate, and the incoming president gave me lavender bath oil and chocolate. I gave each old and new officer an herb I picked out especially for them, based on the symbolism of the herb. Sage (wisdom) went to an ex-president who helped me mightily this year; Lemon Balm (socialability) to our secretary, whom I am very fond of; Thyme to our incoming secretary for courage (she ran our first ever silent auction this year); Dill to one of our new VPs for survival (she's an under-the-radar type who was a little nervous about being on the board); AllSpice for dear neighbor M (compassion)...which was perfect except I couldn't find an allspice plant so I got her a jar of dried allspice and a rosemary plant instead which can mean loyalty and friendship; Fennel for staying-on treasurer for longevity; and lavender for incoming president for devotion.

If the day and night are such that you greet them with joy and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet scented herbs that is your success. All nature is your congratulations.
(Henry David Thoreau)

Yes, I'm glad I did it. We had a very successful year...we tried a lot of new things and a lot of them worked very well. We're set with a good board for next year. There. (big sigh). All done.

Now I just need to get through tomorrow's talk for our external peer review panel at work. My slides are ready, but I need to rehearse getting through it in 20 minutes. Should be doing that right now but my brain and body are on strike. One of these days, I'm hoping I'll feel normal again. I've not read a book or knitted for about 1 1/2 years (could be due to too much time spent on the internet as well as being overly committed...you think?). In any case, I'm ready not to be responsible. I looked, but can't find an herb that symbolizes irresponsibility or laziness. If I had, I'd have bought it for myself in a heartbeat. Deadbeat. My new identity.

5 comments:

J said...

I bet we could assign laziness & irresponsibility to hops. Since they are a major factor in beer, an excellent beverage choice for the lazy and/or irresponsible. :-D

Congrats on being doing with your PTA executive year. And much admiration for taking it on in the first place.

Kanga Jen said...

I love it! Hops!

Anonymous said...

The very fact that you spent time actually researching what, if any, herb means "laziness" is in fact proof that you are not lazy.

LOL

I just bought basil and rosemary for my deck. I feel a pepperoni, pineapple and rosemary pizza on Boboli in my future. Oh yes.

Anonymous said...

I know that it's not an heb, but, who got the poison ivy? :)



trouble

Kanga Jen said...

Trouble, that's really funny. I needed you when I was drawing up my plans!!! Poison Ivy....heh. I can think of a few I might award that to...