Saturday, January 19, 2008

winter

Finally, I get the sense that it is winter here.


We've got a fresh delivery of a cord of good firewood in the shed, a fire in the fireplace, and I'm downing cup after cup of hot vanilla tea. It's all good (about time).

E had a HORRIBLE day yesterday. When moms think of ear infections, they think of little babies and crying and long arduous nights of tylenol and hotpads. Who knew it could get even more heartbreaking as they age? I had a nine year old in tears all night, wailing that she couldn't take the pain any more. Yesterday we made it to the doc but ended up waiting and waiting...and w.a.i.t.i.n.g. at the pharmacy. I think they tried to speed it up because I had a sobbing 9 year old clinging to me and I was obviously in near tears myself, but it still took over an hour. We finally got her on meds, and more tylenol, and after an afternoon and night of sleeping, she's bouncing around and playing in the snow today. Thank goodness, but good lord. I didn't think I was going to survive yesterday without a mommy meltdown. I really hate it when I can't "fix it." It's exhausting being a diety in the eyes of your children, you know?

Note that these pictures were taken from inside the house (it's cold outside!) so if you look too closely you'll see the crosshatch of the screen. That holly tree is my inspiration. A Y-shaped oak tree fell during Hurricane Isabelle and stripped the holly's branches on either side (took out our deck stairs, too). The tree guys didn't think it would survive, but look at it now! We begged our contractor not to cut it down for the addition. It's growing on the side of a fairly steep slope so I live in fear of it toppling over. It's such a nice tree.

I just watched "In the Bedroom," on our plasma (!!). Wow. Excellent, excellent movie. I was surprised at what happened in it - I had no idea what the "tragedy" was that was advertised on the DVD, and probably wouldn't have watched it if I'd known. It ripped me up, but I thought the movie was so good and honest that I forgave it its heartwrenching storyline. I'm wiped out now.

Not much to say - just catching up. I've got a long weekend due to MLK day on Monday, and since my office is clean now, I'll try to write something more inspiring later.

Happy winter.

1 comment:

J said...

So sorry about E's ear infection. M had a similar experience about a year ago. About 9AM, he said, "My ear hurts." By 9:15AM he was WAILING! I don't think he quieted down for about six hours. It was awful. Glad E is on the mend, and your deity status is intact.

Enjoy your snow. Looks like you have more than we do right now.