Sunday, August 19, 2007

hiatus

Hello all....I am reporting from chilly, thunderstormy Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, here. (This is an explanation for my latest brief period of not updating my blog. E and I are visiting our friends out here in the midwest and are having a great time. Squeaky cheese curds are AWESOME.)

Because I'm the only one up this morning, I've been doing some web surfing and thinking about global warming and found a few interesting reads I thought I'd share with any of you who are interested. The first is a somewhat recent article by Freeman Dyson essentially pooh-poohing the concern about (not the presence of) global warming. He's a well respected physicist so I was interested to read his thoughts. There seems to be a lot of presumption on his part about what he thinks climate scientists are like, and what climate scientists (as opposed to environmentalists and public figures) are saying about global warming (e.g. "hype" in his words), however. His carbon sequestration in soil solution, while interesting, seems fairly flippant and very very difficult, if not impossible to fully pull off. In any case, I enjoyed reading his thoughts. He's not of the knee-jerk naysayers camp so he is somewhat informed on the issues. I also found a response to his article from a climate scientist that I thought was very well-informed. So if you're bored, take a look at those articles for more of the back-and-forth banter in the world of climate science. The moral of the story is that no matter how intelligent someone is or how well-respected, and no matter how thoughtful an article sounds at first read, nothing beats further thinking and, ultimately, self-evaluation of a problem.

2 comments:

Granny said...

Dad and I have discussed this thoroughly and have decided we must have adopted you and forgotten about it. Either that or you absorbed all our brains. We love you anyway.

Kanga Jen said...

LOL. You're very funny.