Monday, March 19, 2007

lots o' cheese

I've been perusing YouTube tonight and laughing my ass off at the cheesy 80s videos. Mare - you were one funny chick in college (and still are).
Do you remember this video? I remember how we used to make fun of John Oates for being always in the background and peeking around Daryl Hall, over his shoulder, trying to grab the camera with his eyes, like a muppet... LOL.



And then I can't watch that video without thinking of the Blues Brothers and Dan Ackroyd. That dance...OMG!!!



There is something so absolutely hilareous about both of these guys - John Oates and Dan Ackroyd. They're the second guy. But the whole flavor of the video is there, and is so funny, because of them. Their background antics, especially with the presenation in all seriousness, balanced against the front guy? It's what makes me spew out my Dr. Pepper all over the computer screen when I watch.

And that's my favorite place to be. I want to be moved slightly out of the lead position but be close enough to grab attention. What a totally wimpy cop-out. I want the glory but none of the responsibility. In the event of a success, it can be because I was a great behind-the-scenes help. If it's a failure, I can claim it's because of poor leadership, which is out of my realm of responsibility of course. It's the safest and most fun place to be.

So these days, as I'm running around setting up committees for the PTA next year and listening to suggestions and complaints from various folks about how we do things, I'm recognizing that I've moved out from behind the front guy. I'm no longer in the position of funny, safe background guy. Dammit, but if we fail, I'm at the wheel. Same for work, too. I'm not peeking out from behind Wonderboy any longer. I've been forced out of my comfort zone and into the realm of responsibility in several different areas of my life. All at once.

Frankly, it's a shame, and it's certainly not as fun. Everyone loves the background guy. How can you not like Dan Ackroyd or John Oates? The little guy, bouncing around and having fun behind the workhorse, making you laugh your ass off - they are harmless and plain fun. It's a hell of a lot harder to be loved or admired when you're in the driver's seat.

So how did I end up here? Good question. I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'm not sure it matters ultimately. What I really want to know is whether I'll be able to return to the Dan Ackroyd place again. Maybe we all have to pay our dues and be the fallguy for a while? I don't want to think that once I've moved out of the background that I can't return. I'm not kidding - it is much more comfortable and a lot more fun there.

In the meantime, here is one of my favorite 80's videos to share. I can so perfectly picture Mare mocking this one (we did lots of mocking in college). When the guy does the weird hand motions with the jerky head movements, I nearly split my pants laughing at the memory of Mare making fun of him. The 80's. What in the hell were were thinking???!!!

4 comments:

Baconeater said...

Comfort music for those in their mid forties like me.

Kanga Jen said...

Absolutely!

You should see the music on my ipod. I'd be embarrassed except that I'm not. :-)

Thanks for dropping by - I haven't seen your site before and am enjoying a quick scan-through. Hopefully I can spend more time reading it tonight.

Anonymous said...

Hey, my comment from last night didn't go through :-(

J said...

hey there - you've been quiet the last week. Everything okay?