Saturday, March 11, 2006

feminism

What to write??!!

I've recently had several very, very kind people tell me how much they enjoy my blog, which 1) made my head swell to an unbearable size and 2) has caused me to panic every time I try to add a new post. I fear that if I keep writing, then the truth will be exposed; that even an infinite number of monkeys can come up with Hamlet, given enough tries.

In any case, life has been blissfully uneventful, compared to the last few months, so it's a little harder to think of topics to write about. What a nice thing.

I did a Lunchtime Learning seminar for some 5th graders this week, which was a huge success. Apparently, I made a big impact on some 5th grade girls who are interested in science, and who were thrilled to see a woman scientist that was a real person, too. My friend Kim told me her daughter Beth, who was at my talk, is now convinced that a woman can have an interesting career and have a family and enjoy life and, well, she can "have it all". I add here that in theory I really don't like that phrase very much since it's clear that every choice we make consists of gains and losses (cake, eating it, all that). But I appreciate the sentiment - that women aren't required to choose between career and life/family. In any case, I nearly wept with joy when Kim told me that. Personally, I think the kids just simply loved making the model of a satellite from candy. Mom, I did go ahead and use the sticks of gum for the solar panels. I haven't had any teachers give me the evil eye for that yet, so I'll keep it in my act until they do. Anyway, the praise I got for my talk just absolutely made me glow. I figure that did more for the future of humankind than any of my research actually does. :-)

...and this has lead me into thinking about the opportunities for women that are out there in this country now, and what feminism is (funny how these blog posts kind of write themselves once you just start typing. Infinite monkeys, you see...). I am a woman in a field that is still dominated by men, but that is changing incredibly rapidly. When I was in grad school, I was one of maybe 5 women in a department with 40 or 50 men. The numbers were about the same, or perhaps even worse when I started my job at NASA 17 years ago. I never felt like I was singled out because I was a woman - well, not blatently, and not enough so that I felt like it was ever a hinderance. The coursework and research requirements were infinitely more difficult for me than the fact that I was a woman.

I'm not saying that being a woman in a male dominated world wasn't noticed by me. I once made an appointment with a professor to go over some stuff for my qualifiers, only to have him ask me to shut the door and ask where the wine was when I showed up. (feigning stupidity worked in that case. I simply chuckled like an idiot and then just asked him my question and left.) This same professor asked me to quit sleeping with one of his students so he'd get more work done. Ironically, the other student in question was gay. We were fantastic friends but the idea that we were sleeping together was absurd. You see though, the professor confronted *me* and not his male student.

There was also an incident at work one time, where I got pretty aggressive (shouting, pissed off aggressive) at a visiting student. He happened to be black and went straight to my supervisor after the fact with cries of racial discrimination. I was called into the hotseat and asked about the "incident", at which point I looked my supervisor in the eye and told him I was pissed off at this guy because he had been treating me poorly because I was a woman (he really was, not just a line). I watched my poor supervisor nearly pass out from the stress, and subsequently, it all blew over with little other impact, other than undue stress and anxiety on my part, no matter how packed inside I tried to keep it. I mention this incident because I am convinced that if I were a man, this never would have happened. You see, men are allowed to be loud and assertive in the workplace (to a point, of course). Women are not. Plus, this student, was from Kenya, obviously a place with an entirely foreign culture to ours, and he really did see me as subservient. I ignored it for as long as I could, but finally blew.

I am where I am today because I have stood on the shoulders generations of women before me - women who have been braver than I'll ever be, and women who have cared about the future of girls like me. Despite my personal relatively uneventful path into the world of science, I know that women still have a long way to go. And maybe what we still have to accomplish is the most difficult part of it. While the legal obstacles are essentially gone, young women today still face cultural obstacles, which are infinitely more difficult to change. I was naive enough to not realize or think that there were any limits to what I could do, so I forged ahead oblivious to what the world may have been trying to tell me. This was not a result of any bravery on my part, but just my tendency to be unobservant. Until that mindset is present in all women for the right reasons (i.e., amongst the non-naive) we will still have a need for the feminist movement to be active.

5 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

Nicely said. So much truth in this post. I am so proud of you. Think of the lives you have touched with your wonderful presentation...you rock.Lynne

Anonymous said...

You know Jen, you are exactly right in what you say. Every time that I've had a man as a lawyer, they never ever,ever,ever showed me any kind of sense at all. They expected to walk up to the judge and employ the "good ole boy" sense of justice and expect to win their case like that and I got my butt tore up in court. I bet you money who didn't represent me the next time that I needed legal services! Yep, Everytime after that, I hired a woman. They were much more prepared,smarter and a had a hell of a lot more backbone than any man attorney that I hired.

Being a woman in a so-called man's society takes courage to begin with and it's a shame that discrimination is so blatant at times. I've always been a believer that all things should be judged on merit. That being said, some do pull the sexism/race ticket to the extreme on both sides of the ball. That should tip the scale if all things were based on merit as well.

The most blatant form of just gender discrimination is apparent is in girl's softball..... Caitlin and her team always have to wait for a field until AFTER the boys think that they've had enough practice. I get so damn red under the collar about that. Then to top it all off, the girls only get an hour because they have to get the fields ready for the next day for the boys. They've got 8 fields set aside for the girls to play on that they've been working on getting ready for the 3 years that I've been involved in the PGSA and they boys have first class facilities. Okay, I promised myself that I was just going to make this short, but next time that you're out at one of Quinton's games, compare his playing facilities to that of the girls around there. All of this starts whenever the girls are young. Talk to my Mom..... You should have heard her stories whenever she went up against the SF little league to have a place for the girls down here to practice. She even found the property,gave a small down payment and "forced" volunteers to work! LOL... Now look where the SF girls are .... 2 state title in 5 years.

Anyway, nice blog.... I always love reading it and I'm very proud to know you Jen.

SR.

Kanga Jen said...

SR - there is a really active youth baseball league here in W'burg, with awesome fields for the kids. There is also a softball league for girls, but I am completely ignorant about what facilities are available to them. You see, my daugter does NOT want to play on a girl's team. She's played in the youth league for 2 years of t-ball and coach pitch last fall, and just signed up for coach pitch again this spring. She's usually one of about two girls on her team. I don't think she's trying to make a statement or anything. She just wants to do the same league as her brother. I think it's great the it doesn't occur to her that there's anything unique about her playing on a mostly boy's team. She's hanging in right there with the other kids, skill-wise. There are still a few girls (but very few) left who are playing on the 10 year old league that Q's in. I don't know where the rest of them went - softball league I guess. I sure don't hear much about it around town.

You're so right that the boys are given huge opportunities sports-wise that aren't generally offered to girls. I would be livid about Caitlin's league. And your mom is AWESOME!!!! It takes people like her to change things. Inertia is a hard thing to overcome...good for her for doing it!

Mama Moose said...

Sometimes I get down on my job, but you can be proud to just continue to work and exist in a male-dominated field. Mine is construction, and it makes me proud to know something about gables, flashing and operational shutters.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Your monkeys must be wroking very hard. Well said, as usual, and so very true. BMA