Tuesday, March 28, 2006

assorted news

What good is a blog if you can't occasionally whine in it, right?

I stayed home yesterday since I'd been up um ...vomiting... for most of the early morning. I felt progressively worse until I was lapsing in and out of sleep on the couch around noon (which is not something I do easily during the day). I finally took my temperature and it was a whopping: 100.4. So I spent the day feeling like a total wimp for letting a mere 100 degree temperature completely suck the life out of me. Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling much better. I stuck the thermometer in my mouth and got a reading of: 96.4. Did it again and got the same reading. Huh. So now I'm feeling sorry for myself because I probably had a much higher temperature yesterday than I thought. If I had known that, I would have let myself have TWO bowls of ice cream. Dang.

I think I would love to stretch my wimpiness out to cover two days off from the world, but I'm not allowed. I've got work to get done at the office, and the kid-juggling olympics starts up after school. I somehow need to have E at a baseball field near our house at 5:00 and Q at a baseball field about 15 miles from our house...at 5:00. I haven't figured out exactly how to manage that one, but stay tuned.

In other news:

* Our church has new ministers!! It's been a looong three years searching for them, and we need them desperately.

* E's chess club (Elementary school) won first place in their tournament on Saturday, beating out a private school and a group of homeschoolers. Go public education! E herself did pretty well, with a win, a loss and a draw. She wrote down her moves and we recreated the game that was a draw. I nearly threw the chessboard at her head. She asked the little boy she was playing for a draw because she was "tired of playing". At the point she asked him for a draw, she had him in check three different ways and was one or two moves away from a checkmate. I imagine it wasn't a difficult decision for him to accept the draw. Grrr. I don't want her to be overly competitive, but don't you think that's a bit ridiculous?

* Global warming seems to be all over the news lately. Good because perhaps the public epiphany is coming. Bad because, well, it sucks. It's depressing. I've never been overly fond of change, and well, this is a pretty damned big change. Folks - there *is* a consensus among scientists that the world is warming and that it is caused by human emissions. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

* I was once again overlooked for People Magazine's Sexiest Woman. Go figure.

No comments: