Saturday, December 13, 2008

more sundry

I know!! I'm doing a perfectly lousy job on keeping up with a steady supply of interesting and entertaining posts here. I'm the proverbial mom on the hamster wheel these days, running my little feet so fast that I tumble head over heels and crash into a heap into the wood shavings. (Speaking of which, we found E's hamster in the linen closet Thursday, after she pulled out all the bristles from the brush we use to clean the ceiling fans. Mmmm. OK.)

So here are some random thoughts/and/or/observations from the last few days.

As I leave work through the security gates, I have noticed they have recently installed what the signs say are "Speed Humps." Humps? Is there a difference between a speed BUMP and a speed HUMP? Who calls them "humps" other than the government?

My son would like to be Stephen Colbert and I am totally in support of that
aspiration.

I think the pressure on folks to buy gifts for each other on Christmas is not a good thing, and I would love to move beyond that. But of course I can't because it's not the "right" thing to do. I wonder if I would be more tempted to give random gifts throughout the year to those I love if I didn't know that it was "required" at Christmastime? Despite all that, I love the rituals from Christmas.

My grandmother is about to turn 100. I only now realized that her birthday is on the winter solstice. I think that's a really neat day to be born. I also wonder how it would feel to know you've been alive for a full century.

It's not much, but I've got to get back into the habit of writing slowly. I've got a lot of thoughts bouncing around in my overly stimulated mind....just haven't been patient enough to sit down and think them completely through.

4 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Why not ask your grandmother what it is like to turn 100, and then report back.

I'll be 60 in March, and just feel pleased with myself that I lasted this long.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! speaking of which, what happened to the DVD idea? did you find the photos??

Holly Jahangiri said...

I read a good one the other day - a woman said that everyone was limited to three gifts at Christmas, and if anyone thought they deserved more presents than the baby Jesus, they could take it up with God.

Lynne Thompson said...

That is so cool about your G'ma--Happy Birthday!
We have greatly reduced who we give gifts to--often we have approached said people and they have gratefully said YES let's skip it! In Rich's family, we each buy for just one couple (there are 4 sibs, this helps). We all pick names. Only the children all get gifts. Anyone else (teachers, sundry neighbors, mailperson) gets homemade fudge or cookies. No one is complaining:-) Lynne