Saturday, December 06, 2008

holiday fun

Today ended up being the offical start to the winter holiday season for my family. Although we do not consider ourselves christian, we embrace the spirit of this holiday season wholeheartedly. I love the warmth and the focus on family and togetherness and tradition. In the words of Martha, "It's a good thing." Indeed.

We started the day out by helping friends with their llamas in our local holiday parade:





(There are more pictures on my facebook page).

It was a lot of fun! I have to admit that the introverted portion of my nature (which is substantial, even if held in check most of the time) kicked into high gear when I realized that hundreds of parade-goers were watching me. If *I* felt a bit uncomfortable, I can only imagine what ultra-shy son Q was feeling. He put his llama between him and the crowd, and pulled his hat down over his eyes and was fine, however. Good coping skills. I was proud that he wanted to do it.

Next on the agenda was our annual christmas tree hunt.

The hunt:


The catch:


The dressing down:


And the final result:


And in case anyone is wondering what middle school aged boys do during all this:






And the obligatory eating of the christmas village...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic memories for your younguns. I especially like J and the Llama.

Anonymous said...

I'm with your Mom... a very close resemblance.... j/k... Looks like a blast.

Trouble.

Lynne Thompson said...

Love llamas! How neat that you got to do that...and anytime you are forced out of your comfort zone--well that is a good thing:-) --you had all those people looking at you and Q and you both survived! They look so old:-( and gorgeous....great day. LT

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Funny how your son and my son are almost identical in attitude. Must be the age (12?). I'm on Facebook now too. We must befriend each other.

Snowbrush said...

Hello former Texan more lately of the Southeast. I am a former Mississippian lately of the Northwest. I see quite a few llamas here, but I don't think I ever saw a one in Mississippi.

Kanga Jen said...

Snowbrush, thank you for visiting and commenting. I have been perusing your blog and find it very interesting. I was tempted to join in the discussion of absolute morality and from whence it commences, but am not feeling particularly intelligent tonight. ;-)
In any case, I've got your blog bookmarked and hopefully can find a discussion that I'm capable of contributing to there.

Cheers!

JeepGirl said...

May I also ask what is the eating of the Christmas Village?

Kanga Jen said...

Can you not tell from the picture?

Snowbrush said...

"I was tempted to join in the discussion of absolute morality and from whence it commences, but am not feeling particularly intelligent tonight. ;-)"

Please come back when you are.