Tuesday, June 12, 2007

science

The subject of this post is the result of three unrelated comments that I have either heard recently, or which have been made directly to me recently.

Two of them came from my mom's email list but I didn't feel that was the right forum for me to go all philosophical and wordy so I didn't address the comments there. In the first instance, one of the moms was involved in a discussion of mammograms and how a radiologist didn't like the look of something in her mother's x-rays despite it having all the signs and symptoms of being a cyst that is benign 99% of the time. It turned out the radiologist was correct to be concerned. Anyway, she closed her story with with
"I'll take intuition over science any day."


Another mom on my list (being a quizzical sort) referred to the Carl Sagan signature that is at the end of all my emails that reads: "
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." She noted my sig and simply asked:
"Why?"


And the last instance comes about because of my penchant for browsing through blogs of some very conservative people and trying to understand their positions on global warming. I do this for several reasons. Many of these people are quite intelligent and have some good questions. In my constant quest to remain open-minded, rather than dismiss their arguments, I enjoy thinking about them and trying to decide if they make me question my own beliefs. Unfortunately, most of these folks are also clearly not open to a rational discussion of the subject and would not be interested in hearing my viewpoint as a scientist working in the field (mostly because what I have learned does not mesh with what they'd like to hear). And because many of them can be downright rude, I'm not about to jump into the fire. (I'm not good at confrontation, believe it or not.) But I am intensely interested in the motivation and reasons for their beliefs. In any case, the comments on more than one blog I have been reading demand proof that climate change is being caused by humans. One of the recurring battle cries is essentially:
"No one has shown me the proof!"


Which all have led me to wax philosophical about what I think science is.

First, I can tell you what science is not. Science is certainly not statistics. Statistics are facts. Statistics are concrete. Science is much more malleable than that. Science is a constantly changing search for explanation. Science often uses statistics to guide thinking and to help search for causal relationships, but it is in no way limited to statistics. So when my first friend compared intuition to science, I think what she really meant was intuition versus statistics. Because intuition is, in fact, integral to science. And that is what has drawn me in from the beginning. I love the art of science. It is the perfect blend of logic and intuition. Science is not rigid. It seeks to shatter past-held beliefs rather than remain beholden to them. It has no bounds. It wants to expand and grow. It is not stagnant.

And that (kind of) leads to my next comment. For my fellow bloggers who are looking for "proof" of global warming - eh. No. That's not going to happen because that is not science. Strictly speaking, you can only "prove" that a theory is incorrect. It is only the absence of disproof which is compelling evidence that a theory is a good explanation of what we observe (and that does not equal "proof"). Compelling (usually empirical) evidence is as good as you're going to get in science. Science is not mathematics. It is not rigid. We can assign subjective degrees of reliability to various scientific theories, but that is the best we can do. In the case of global warming, there is a high degree of reliability placed on human emissions of carbon increasing the average surface temperature. We know this by examining empirical evidence such as signatures of carbon isoptopic ratios in tree rings and ice cores that strongly suggest the dramatic rise in CO2 over the last 150 years or so is due to burning fossil fuels. (Click here if you're interested in discussion of this). No real scientist will be able to "prove" that the increase in CO2 and associated global warming is due to humans. But ~99% of scientists believe that it is so.

As an aside, I find it a little interesting how this description of science reflects the debate over the existence of God. I do not believe you can offer up any absolute "proof" of God, either. Yet, while I am comfortable with the fact that scientific theory cannot be supported by "proof", I am uncomfortable with the fact that God cannot be supported by proof. I reconcile this by the argument of reasonable and reliable evidence. Scientific theories can be supported by evidence that I find compelling. God cannot be supported by evidence that I find compelling. (shrug). In the big scheme of things we have a level of "unknowable" that we all eventually reach. We can ascribe that to "God", or we can ascribe it to something as simply unknowable. Whether there is a material difference in what we assign as definitions is a matter of personal decision.

And then there is my friend who asked "Why" to one of my favorite Sagan quotes.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
It's a good question. Is delusion or pretension such a bad thing? Is it harmful or immoral? There are certainly cases where it is hurtful, I think, but it's not a universal truth that it is. However, I can only answer for myself. I believe delusion and pretension is very, very limiting. I believe the search for truth - the search for explanation (which is my definition of science) is what blows apart the boundaries that we set for ourselves. It's only when we are willing to open ourselves up to the infinite possibilities of "truth" that we don't yet understand that we can experience a fullness to life. Granted, that's not what all of us want. This isn't a "right" or "wrong" explanation. It's just what works for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jen! Just a small clarification.

You neglected to mention that your friend who preferred intuition to science with regards to mammograms is also a scientist, even if no longer active in the field 8-). In this case, I really did mean "science" - the surgeon was quite unable to explain afterwards what it was about the cyst that made him uncomfortable. I agree that progress in science is based on intuition, in the first instance - but after that, much time, effort and money are spent in the search for a reasonable *explanation* for the intuitive understanding. Intuition, after all, is knowledge that transcends the formal framework - "I don't know why I know, I just know". But it isn't science until we know why we know 8-).

Love the discussion! Hadass.

Ruthie said...

This is a great post. It's very enlightening.

I enjoy reading what you have to say about global warming, because frankly, I know very little about it. I haven't made up my mind in any direction because it isn't something I've really studied and looked at yet, so it's great that there are people like you in the world who are passionate about it and can explain what's going on to the rest of us.

You quoted Sagan: "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

This made me think, for some reason, of the way I felt immediately after reading Martin Heidegger's Being and Time. He was so hungry for knowledge and truth, so alert and curious and intelligent, but so utterly convinced of the finitude of Being. I think I said something to myself like, "Why remain wakeful in a hopeless world?"

Sorry. I'm getting a little off-track.

The older I get the more I realize how little I know. I think you're the same way.

Anonymous said...

We think alike. Only you are smarter and more eloquent! :)

Kanga Jen said...

Hadass,

Thanks for dropping by! :-)

I used your example only to illustrate a point - it may be that it wasn't the best illustration but it seemed to work for me.

The point I wanted to make is that science is in a constant state of flux, of change. The statistics that a radiologist uses as a guide for what further action to take stem from science, but they are not the definition of "science." In order to continue to grow, science must be open to that 1% of the time that the empirical evidence does not fit the rules.

Ultimately, I'm getting at the changes in scientific theory with respect to the climate. There's a lot of contradictory "evidence" being bandied about.

The public sees this as wishy-washiness, and that's a big problem. I can understand the frustration of wanting "proof" of wanting to know the answer. But science is not going to give you that. (This is getting long enough for another post).

Anyway - thanks for reading!
Jen

Kanga Jen said...

Carrie,

I'm in total agreement that we seem to think alike. But not with the smarter/more eloquent part...though I thank you for the nice words. :-)

Jen

Kanga Jen said...

Ruthie,

Thank you for your supportive words. :-)

You wrote:
"He was so hungry for knowledge and truth, so alert and curious and intelligent, but so utterly convinced of the finitude of Being. I think I said something to myself like, "Why remain wakeful in a hopeless world?""

Yeah.
Everyone goes through stretches of that feeling, I think. 'What's the point?'
I think hopelessness requires that you hold onto a preconception of the universe. Anything that doesn't fit into that mold then appears hopeless. It's only when I'm able to let go of what I WANT and let myself just BE that I realize hopeless doesn't have much of a meaning anymore. And I'm able to reach that state approximately .1% of my wakeful hours.

Does that make any sense at all?

You also wrote:
"The older I get the more I realize how little I know. I think you're the same way."

YES!!! I always say that the process of going though and getting my PhD ultimately taught me how much I don't know. Years do the same thing. But at some point you just have to throw up your arms and admit you're going to remain clueless so why sweat it?

Though I reserve the right to continue the angst of the search occasionally, particularly on my blog... :-)

Thanks again Ruthie
Jen