Tuesday, May 30, 2006

gone to carolina in my mind



I've always been obtuse. (Now that's an inviting way to start a new blog post, isn't it?) But in all honesty, I am. I've always known things to be true in my gut well before my brain can figure out the logic of why I feel a particular way. I've surrounded myself with intuitive friends who can help me see both the forest and the trees while I'm gazing up at the sky. So it's really not all that surprising that it took a little over 40 years to realize how much the mountains of North Carolina speak to my soul. I arranged for DH and me to take our honeymoon there, and our family vacationed there several years ago with my parents and sisters. I found myself back there again this Memorial Day weekend, and finally realized just how much I love this part of the world.



I love the beauty of the Rockies, and I know I will be in awe of the Alps. But the Smokies? They are my heart. They are lush and green and peaceful and quiet and inviting and sexy. They are cinnamon coffee and cabernet and bread fresh from the oven. They are a cradle for life and they are both mysterious and sultry.



It was a great weekend because not only was I out in a place that I dearly love, but we met up with old friends that we dearly love. That's a winning combination from any direction that you look at it (even an obtuse one).

Little girls traipsing through the labrynth


We're here for this one go-round, aren't we? So what are we waiting for? Why any hesitancy to pull out the stops and fling out our arms and enjoy?




It was a good weekend. I'm ready for summer to begin now. Thank you Carolina.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Smokies! We need to toodle on out to North Carolina for a spell! Beautiful.

~Polli

Lynne Thompson said...

I felt the same way about them--loved them on sight! we have a lesser version of them up here. and I love them all, but the Smokies are special! =-LT

What She Said said...

Pictures remind me of the Ohio GTG. They are also stunning with your blog theme. :-)

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful. I hope to be able to see them myself someday.

Thanks for adding me (AgnosticMom) to your blogroll!