Tuesday, May 02, 2006

oh honey, honey

My friend Tracy (wife of my team leader at work) claims that eating local honey will help with allergies. Huh.

Whether or not it is true, the idea of a big jar of fresh honey just tickled my taste buds today so I tromped down to the office of the guy at work who is a beekeeper in his spare time and bought a large jar of fresh golden honey. It sat in my office all day and I smiled when I looked at it. Yum.

Driving home, I set it on the floorboard beside me and held onto it at every turn (we're talking 45 minutes of driving here so this is some major jar-sitting). I envisioned hot tea with honey and warm milk with honey at bedtime tonight. I tasted fresh honey on my morning oatmeal. Cookies and cakes with honey. Honey on warm buttermilk biscuits. My mouth was watering as I turned into my driveway. I kid you not. I was on the verge of proposing to my jar of fresh, local honey.

I gathered up all my belongings, including my precious jar of honey and hurried toward the house, with visions of honey on everything dancing in my head. But wait. I was hasty, I was in a hurry. I dropped my jar of honey on my gravel driveway and watched in dismay as the jar shattered into a bajillion pieces (all mixed in with the honey) and honey oozed into the dirt...all in slow motion, mind you. Sniff. It was very very sad.

E thinks I should go buy another jar tomorrow. But I don't know - it just seems wrong. That jar was my jar. I'd be cheating on it if I just went immediately to another. I think at least a few days of mourning is in order.

.............................

I believe I have solved the mystery rash. I have only itched like this in a tear-my-skin-off, grab a fork way twice in my life. The first time we deduced it was a penicillin allergy. I was taking penicillin for some dental work. This time, however, there was no penicillin. Ah - but there was dental work. I believe I may be one of the rare folks blessed with a type IV allergic response to dental anesthesia. (Type IV means a delayed response, most often an itchy skin rash that lasts several weeks). Two for two. Yep - pretty sure. Any bets on whether I'll be able to convince my dentist of this?

.............................


And I just want to add here before I close that...I love my kids. I love my husband. I love my family. And I think they love me despite the fact that I have weird skin type-IV allergic reactions and am careless with the love of my life jar of honey. It doesn't get much better than this, folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This had "impending doom" for the honey written all over it. It was just because you wanted it so badly. how do you clean honey and shattered glass out of gravel? I fear for your tires. Hope the itching is becoming more bearable with the prednisone.

Jodie

Lynne Thompson said...

Wow. I love how you write. You captured sensual longing really well. Food of the Gods...honey is.
Sorry it left you. You didn't drop it, it flew from your hands! Yeah, that's it....LT