Tuesday, October 11, 2005

welcome rain

It's been raining here for the last several days and it's like a reprieve for me. The kids' baseball games are cancelled on those days so suddenly, we have evenings at home to ourselves again. Apart from that, I have always loved rainy days. I like the darkened skies, cooler temperatures, and the drumming of the raindrops on the roof. It's a reminder to myself to s.l.o.w. d.o.w.n. and just ... be. I remember when I was a kid, my absolute favorite weather was just before a storm came. It gets ominously dark, the wind picks up, and there's just something in the air that promises you something big is coming.

Anyway, weather is on my mind in many ways. I promised Q's teacher that I'd teach a lesson to the 4th graders on weather, so now I'm regretting that. What to say? What to do? I have my trusty video tape of a year's worth of satellite photos of cloud patterns. In a loop, it's amazing to watch. But I've used that one before with some of the kids. I'd love to do a nifty experiment with them, but my fear is it would totally flop. Look at me...all worked up over talking in front of a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds. How pathetic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, the flopping comment is the best! I used to sit out on my front porch and watch a storm come in. Being from southeast Texas, we know a little bit about storms. Just a little bit though.

Mama Moose said...

I love storms. The drizzle annoys me. I'd rather have full out crashing than drip, drip, drip. this comes from living in Ireland where I swear it rained 6 and 1/2 days a week.

Kanga Jen said...

Hello Moose!!

How long did you live in Ireland? I didn't know that about you...