Sunday, October 30, 2005

...breathe!!!

Fall Ball is over!!! Hallelujah.
We are indeed a baseball family and my kids love the game (not to mention my husband who lives for baseball for most of the year). As a result, I do have a certain fondness for the game, but that doesn't stop me from celebrating the fact that I can now have a big portion of my life back...at least until March, when the spring season starts.

Fall is all over me now. The leaves started turning for real, and it's finally cold. We've had a few fires in the fireplace. I love the way my kids take off their shirts and sit with their backs to the fire reading books for ages, while their backs warm up. Last night we crashed another subdivision's halloween party. *They* do it up right, with hot dogs, tons of food, adult and kid versions of cider, and a hay ride. My friend Terri took her three boys, my two kids, and the Jamies' two kids trick or treating, brave woman that she is. We ended up at the Jamies' house in front of their wood stove with a few glasses of sour cherry schnapps straight from Austria while the kids did their trading and sorting of candy. (By the way, my Erin traded off several kit-kats for bags of pretzels. What is up with THAT?)

The trouble is, we will do trick or treating again on Monday night in our neighborhood. I am beginning to dream of mountains of candy smothering my children. I usually end up tossing out halloween candy after a few weeks, but my kids are beginning to catch on. Bleah. It's fun to be a kid on Halloween. E is Hermoine from Harry Potter, and she's a perfect one. Not only does her hair look right, but she's got that know it all attitude down pat. Q is an accident victim, which is rather perfect for a 9 year old boy. He covers himself with fake scar stickers, has a totally ripped up shirt, and DH colors bruises all over his face and neck with face paint. Last night was really cold, but real Halloween should be perfect - in the 60s or so.

We're skipping UU this morning. I need a day off badly. My life has run away from me. Any mom knows this feeling I'm sure. I keep finding myself at the end of the day collapsed in front of the TV wondering what was really accomplished. Yet, at the same time, I feel totally fulfilled. Odd combination, and I'm not sure I'm explaining it right. As an example, here was my weekend. Friday morning, after racing and yelling to get my kids dressed, fed, armed with lunches and signed planners with homework in the appropriate folders, I ran back home from the bus stop to dry my hair, throw on work-out clothes, pack up a change of clothes, oh yes, remember to grab the gift books I bought at the book fair for teachers and a sweatshirt for E...(deep breath in the middle of this never-ending sentence), and sped off the the rec center for my aerobics class. Left aerobics 5 minutes early to throw on good clothes and speed over to the school to chaperone E's field trip to the pumpkin patch. (and by the way, hats off to E's teacher who is apparently very good with um... high energy and spirited kids because the principal FILLED her class with them. O. M. G. I was exhausted). After field trip (which, by the way I went lunchless on, as I forgot to pack my own lunch with the kids), I raced off to the Outlet Mall and the evil WalMart (which I normally boycott but some days it's just too damned convenient) to buy gifts for a baby shower and leotards for E for her gymnastics class. Rushed home to count 4K in money from the PTA fundraiser, grabbed the kids off the bus at the bus stop, threw Q into his baseball uniform, and grabbed hamburgers from Sonic on the way to Q's next-to-last baseball game. After the game, came home, threw the kids into baths and bed, and fell asleep on the couch in front of some weird movie called "The Spring". And Friday is my day off. I won't go into the timeline, but Saturday included a baby shower, another baseball game with end-of-season pizza party, gymnastics for two, and the crashing of Riverview's Halloween party, described earlier.

So hell yes, I'm skipping church today.

Mare, I will include a description of my darling daughter's interaction with Greg the neighbor at the bus stop in my next post.

As for now, I've got my coffee, John is reading the paper, the kids are quiet doing something (I'm trying not to worry), and I am going to WALK SLOWLY throughout the house and not run, speed, dash, or throw anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL.... You were so caught in all the things that you do, that you didn't realize that they looked "ordinary" to us other parents that do that exact same thing! LOL.. I was laughing out loud though... Fall ball isn't over for us down here. I was umpiring all day yesterday and putting up with Moms, Grandparents, Sisters, Brothers and Dad at the ball park... Not to mention the Coach pitch/Dad's!!! Thrills. The only humor that I found in it was the stupid lady in the stands with the coke bottle glasses that can see the F**g ball hit the fence and has the biggest mouth in the county. You would have absolutely loved my response to that, but I'll only tell you if you ask. RIGHT ON ABOUT THE EVIL EMPIRE WALMART. I did the same thing that you did about boycotting them unless it's way too convenient and got pissed off 2 weeks agor or so whenever they already had their Christmas stuff out. I guess they were worried that they'd lose a sale or something like that. Oh, BTW... this girl that I know here at the center is trying to get a job where you work and I told her that if she doesn't drop you a line whenever/if she gets there, I'm going to tell her manager that she's leaving us. LOL... Nothing like a little blackmail, huh? It's never been beneath me!

TTYL PM,,,,

SR