Sunday, October 30, 2005

samhain

As we come upon Samhain, here are my two sweeties, working on our jack o' lanterns...




I love the spiritual side of this pagan holiday. I see it as a time to think deeply of those whom I have loved who are now on "the other side of the veil" - a time to think about life and death not as two separate entities or two states of being, but as a continuous journey. Those who have passed on certainly continue to live within me every day. I feel their influence, I feel their love. Here is a website that talks some about the pagan Samhain, and some of the misconceptions.

And the holiday Halloween, which is certainly modeled after Samhain, is just fun. What better way to face that which we fear than by making fun of it?

I'll be the first to admit that I really don't know many details about the pagan religion. But I do know that I feel I have much more in common with the pagan beliefs I've been exposed to at UU than I do with the christian tenets. Pagans revere the earth, revere nature, and so many of their holidays are centered around the cycles of the earth (seasons) and the cycles of life (birth, death). I love the connectedness there is with all of nature, all of the universe.

In any case, Happy Halloween, Happy Samhain, Happy living... Enjoy the candy and let yourself get good and scared. Boo.

No comments: