Thursday, June 11, 2009

food food beautiful food

Farm share pick-up day:



One of the original reasons we wanted to join a CSA this year was to support small local farms. Today, we received a dozen peaches from South Carolina. While this particular CSA does support several farms here in town, we've discovered she occasionally brings in peaches from South Carolina and apples from Pennsylvania. One look at the peaches and I was smitten. Local schmocal, I say. The eastern seaboard is definitely local enough for this family, especially when it comes to fruit. I (heart) peaches.

We received a big head of cabbage (Mm. Got to think about what to do with that one), red potatoes, beans, green pepper, cucumbers and lots of squash and zucchini. She also threw in a big bunch of beets as I was leaving. I've never prepared fresh beets before. Any expert advice is welcomed!

Last week the bounty included a quart of strawberries, melon, beans, squash, spring onions, tomato, cucumbers, corn and lettuce. I'm estimating that the cost-savings for buying a full share might not be all that spectacular in the end, but the variety she's packing up for us each week is certainly nice. Plus, I like carting around the bushel basket. It makes me feel all farmer-like.

9 comments:

Lynne Thompson said...

Aren't fresh vegetables gorgeous?
Wonderful that you are doing that...we thought of it but worried about cooking it all up...plus we have our own sweet little garden. But the variety that you get is so cool. I (heart) peaches too. It's almost an obsession. We live very close to Pittstown, NJ. It is named that because the population was actually way larger in the late 1800s when they were the Peach capital of the county!! Yowza--they still grown wonderful peaches here. They seem almost scandoulously buxom and juicy to me--like I should eat them in private:-). BTw, I highly recommend ROASTING the beets (yum!). I can taste them now.

J said...

YUM!! My first farm pickup is tomorrow, but we won't have near as much variety - lots of greens and garlic scapes for us.

Cabbage - A slaw is in order..but with shredded carrots, pineapple and a vinaigrette that includes pineapple juice. (No heavy mayo.)

Beets - I recommend shredding a couple of them, steaming and let cool - then add them to an arugula salad with oranges, goat cheese, sliced toasted almonds and a simple balsamic vinaigrette.

Your description of the peaches made me go out and check our trees. We have some serious peach action going on...just have to wait until August.

J said...

Oh - and just wait til high summer before you estimate relative cost.

Snowbrush said...

Looks mighty tasty, and supports local farmers too.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I love Carolina peaches! J is right -- you have to make cole slaw. You could boil or steam the beets and make a salad with feta cheese too. Or pickle them. Have you tried growing your own vegetables? It's easier than you think.

Jodie said...

If its not too late, I highly recommend stir-frying the cabbage. Slice into shreds and fry in butter (if calories aren't an issue) or chicken or veggie broth (if calories are an issue). When it's tender and pretty well wilted, flavor with salt and pepper, take your Beano tabs and eat up!

And if you are trying to gain weight, use bacon grease and a butter combo. Never tried it but I always thought it would be divine. Pork fat rules! Sadly, Weight Watchers doesn't agree with Emeril.

Ruthie said...

[drool]

abernier said...

Happy (upcoming?) birthday, fellow Cancerian who writes so beautifully about time!

Kanga Jen said...

Why thank you abernier!!! You're turning 50 yourself this month, aren't you? Happy happy birthday to you as well. These are the good years for us - they really are.