Sunday, July 05, 2009

another birthday

Today is my birthday, and look at what gift I received from Mother Nature.
As of 2:45 this afternoon:


Light Rain
65°F
Feels Like
65°F
Updated Jul 5 02:45 p.m. ET


I've got the air conditioning off and the windows open so I can hear the rain and feel the cool wind. Mmmm. I'm watching it come down, and the smell of wet earth is heavy in the house now. I'm still full from a lovely birthday brunch from a dear friend this morning (grits casserole, sausage, bacon, blueberry pound cake, baked french toast from homemade sourdough bread, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, etc), and am now happy with a beer and cheez-its. I've got all the senses happily covered. Daughter E is busy baking me a cake and our plans are to go out to dinner tonight. I'm thinking perhaps lobster or crab legs? Woo.

Speaking of senses, I feel more than a little overwhelmed with love today. I'm getting lovely and thoughtful gifts and lots of hugs and kisses and phone calls. If I can get over my guilt about being the recipient of such a wealth of love, it'll be an absolutely perfect birthday.

I'm mostly feeling ambivalence over turning 45. Actually, I've been mistakenly thinking I was already 45 for the last several months, so the real birthday lost any punch in that respect long ago. One year ago on my birthday, I was on a bus riding toward Cold Lake in Alberta, Canada for our field campaign. I stared out as the Texas-like landscape rolled by and tried to think deeply about what I wanted as I entered the mid-40s. Today, I've been trying to remember what it was that I wanted for this past year. I wanted to lose weight (well I have, though I've promptly put it back on again), I wanted to have a better organized house (parts of it are better and parts of it are worse), I wanted to be more patient with my kids (I am sometimes, and am sometimes not). In other words, all these abstract, hand-wavy things that I wanted to improve in my life this last year are about the same as they were then.

What I really accomplished without any prior planning, is living another year, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Our dear assistant principal at the kids' elementary school is retiring this year. I adore this man. I've heard him quote something from his uncle many times. "Whatever it is that life puts in your way, it's up to you to enjoy the ride." His uncle was killed in the 9/11 attacks, which makes his words resonate all the more.

This last year has been a pretty easy one for me, personally. It's not hard to enjoy life when things are going mostly as you have planned. I'm certainly not looking for a tough year, though I know there are inevitably some out there in my future. In the meantime, the best I can do is practice enjoying the ride, with all the unplanned little curves and jogs that take me by surprise. And that's what I hope my 45th year will be filled with. Open eyes, ears that truly hear, slow meals where I truly savor the taste, deep breaths and long pauses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It sounds like you had a beautiful day, just like you deserve. I can't wait to see you again. Love your beautiful children for me!!
Tra

James Higham said...

Happy birthday to you!

Mom said...

Nice post, Jen. One a mother loves to read. You have nailed the secret with your friend's quote as far as I'm concerned. It can't all be smooth sailing, so ride out the rough spots and look forward to the next smooth sailing.

Lynne Thompson said...

Yeah, you sound wiser than 45 to me, Jen. I love that quote, and I love being reminded that it's a choice to make the lemonade out of the lemons:-). Reminds me of the woman turning 100 --they mentioned her secret on the Today Show: "I wake up each day and decide to be happy." good stuff. happy birthday (p.s. you deserve it all and more!)

Ruthie said...

Birthday happies!