Wednesday, June 10, 2009

dreamweaver

I've been dreaming again, finally. It's been a while. Suddenly, I've had very vivid dreams for the last few nights. Last night's was just silly, but dear neighbor M helped me figure it out.

I was at a scientific conference and many of us were meeting at someone's house for dinner. All throughout the dinner, I kept spilling my drinks and knocking over my chairs. (feeling a little inadequate, ya think???)

I had just been diagnosed with a disease by my doctor that required multiple medicines, one of which was glue. I needed to take 1 teaspoon twice a day. At the dinner, I was worried about what people would think, so kept squeezing glue onto my finger and eating it.

In the meantime, I had to relay the message to everyone that my friend P had been diagnosed with a horrid outcome. We'd found out that one of her doctors when she was young had translated two numbers and that the result was that she was several (about 5?) years older than she thought she was.

Mary let me know I am in anxiety over getting older. (duh). I'm eating glue like a child and am self-conscious so am knocking over my drinks and chairs. My friend P is a cancer survivor and my take on it is that she is "older" than she thought she was.

This getting-older thing was so abstract when I was in HS. I never thought it would actually happen. I went on a hike with the Girl Scouts tonight in our local state park and after the very mild and easy hike, I hobbled into my house on painful knees. I'm beyond youth now. My body is breaking down. I have been at my workplace for 20 years (although they have YET to acknowledge that with my 20 year pin. Should I ask someone about it? WTF would I do with a 20 year pin anyway?)

I'm not a work in progress anymore. I'm there. I'm who I am. I am closer to retirement than I am to starting work. I'm not a "bud waiting to bloom" anymore. I'm more like a fully bloomed rose with petals that are dropping off.

Eating glue. What a weird way for my aging anxiety to manifest itself. Anyone who wants neighbor M's services should send a bribe directly to me.

5 comments:

JeepGirl said...

Wow, I am VERY afraid to have her interpret my dreams. lol

J said...

If only it were as simple as eating glue to keep all the parts stuck together.

I'm feeling anxiety about age, too.

Mom said...

Ha! Well, I must say most of the parts of getting old are Great, it's just when the body rebels that it is not so great. : ) I'm happy.

Lynne Thompson said...

What flashed through my mind is you feel like you are coming "unglued" lately. Isn't it weird that we are both dreaming again now? Yours in dreams, LT

Lynne Thompson said...

Forgot to add that as scary as coming "unglued" may be it's the first step before really changing into um like maybe a butterfly? It's just the beginning of the next chapter...face it we are going to rock when we are older older:-)