Saturday, April 25, 2009

a saturday morning...

...in which yours truly decides to finally create another blog post because there is an enormous mound (10 yards) of hardwood mulch sitting in the middle of her driveway. This is actually a very poor plan because the temperature is supposed to reach into the 90s later today so the more I put it off, the worse it's going to end up. And yet, here I sit composing.

It's spring, and as much as I love winter, I guess I can say I'm ready for spring. I stepped outside last night at 2 am to look up at the stars and it was slightly warm. It felt lovely. I spent the day yesterday removing leaves from the culvert and mowing and weeding beds (in anticipation of today's mulch) and I actually enjoyed it.

So in honor of spring, here are some spring photos for your enjoyment:


The end of a pretty successful season for Q's school baseball team means that the coach was finally letting some of the 7th graders play for a little bit. Here's Q making an awesome outfield catch yesterday. Just after I snapped this, his hat blew off. His teammates told him he was "doing a Manny." He also had a successful at-bat with a rocket line drive to left field. Sniff. Nothing like a child to turn you into an avid baseball fan. Oh, he's been dubbed Cotton-Schawb by his teammates. This is a combination of cotton swab (from Q-tip) and "stump the schawb" from ESPN. LOL!




Tell me if you recognize this plant. It's so nice, and we have no idea what it is. Here's a closeup of the flowers:





And this one has not much to do with spring (other than it was taken during spring break) but I think it's funny. Genetics, anyone?

8 comments:

Mare said...

Oh my, that's a hilarious photo!!

Kanga Jen said...

Isn't it, though?

Anonymous said...

I love it! Now if you can just catch Erin posing like a Bee Gee...

Anonymous said...

That was from me, Tracy

Snowbrush said...

The three males are no doubt doing yoga while watching yoga on TV. And where were you during all this--shoveling mulch?

The mystery plant, I know not, but would suspect it of being a dogwood relative, a hybridized cousin, perhaps? Is there a nursery where you can take a sample?

Anonymous said...

I used to have one of these shrubs in my backyard when I lived in Maryland. It's a viburnum. I'm not sure of the exact variety. Check this out and see if you think it's your shrub.

http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/96674486

or here

http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/viburnum

Anonymous said...

This is a good site for identifying trees and shrubs.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/idit.htm

Kanga Jen said...

Anon, Thank you!!! Two people have told me that it's a viburnum now, and indeed I think it is. The mystery now is whether I bought this shrub years ago to plant in my front bed and then totally forgot about it, or if it simply naturally grew there and somehow missed the (albiet VERY few) weedings until it was large enough for me to recognize as something I should leave alone. In any case I'm glad it's there now.

Thanks for the dendro site. Good one to have bookmarked. ;-)