Saturday, March 07, 2009

not my finest moment

Wow. I am such bitch. Seriously. And I am so glad I didn't have me for a mother.

Q was asked to be in both the 7th grade and the 8th grade bands this year. He's a good little clarinet player; he's 1st chair in the 7th grade band and plays 1st part in the 8th grade one. The 8th graders had a competition today (identical to the UIL competitions I went to in Texas). They prepared 3 pieces for their concert performance and then had a sight-reading portion right afterward. Q has been so excited about being in the 8th grade band. He came home this fall and found a recording of one of their songs on the internet so I could hear it. He hums their songs all the time. And *I* have been so excited about going to this. It takes one second of being in the hallway outside a school auditorium, sounds of bands coming from all around, seeing band directors racing through the halls and parents filing in and out of the auditorium to bring back a flood of memories. The palpable tension in the warm-up room with the band director trying to hide his own nervousness while calming the rest of the group down...the SMELL of the building...the quiet click click click of shoes tiptoeing up and down the hallway and the hushed whispers, trying not to disturb the judging...

So anyway this morning, Q had an early baseball practice for 2 hours, then had an hour to come home and shower and get back up to the band hall to catch the band bus. He had a good practice at BB but somewhere within the hour at home, he started to feel sick. I persisted in getting him out of the house and into the van and drove him to the school. By that point, he was miserable, so I went to tell the band director that he was feeling ill and that I would drive him down to the contest so he wouldn't have to ride in a school bus.

I stopped at a pharmacy on the way and pumped him full of Tylenol cold medicine and bought him a sprite. We drove 45 minutes down to the site of the contest. Q slept most of the way. When we got there, he started complaining to me that he couldn't do it - he just couldn't go through with it. Being the loving mother that I am, I told him I wanted him to please give it a try and that if he didn't think he could participate, he would need to tell his band director himself. I'm pretty sure I didn't think he was faking it - Q doesn't do faking well, and plus, his sister has spent the last 24 hours throwing up. So it was no real surprise that he would have been getting sick.

The rest of the band arrived and Q and I found Mr. Hodges.
"Hey buddy, you gonna make it?" Mr. Hodges asked. Q shook his head and started mumbling "I can't do it, I can't do it." I looked up at Mr. Hodges in a panic, wanting him to plead with Q to please try. I'm the boy's mother, so I'm supposed to be the empathic one, right? It was Mr. Hodge's job to be the one pushing him. Mr. H was clearly not thrilled at losing one of his players 1 hour before competition, but he told Quinton to go home. "Thanks for trying buddy - just go home and get better."

I walked Q back to the van and drove straight home without saying a word to him. Q apologized several times, but I did not want to say the wrong thing, so I remained silent. Quite honestly, I was *upset* with the boy. Some things are bigger than we are. Some things are worth giving more of yourself to than you dreamed was possible. A sign of true character would be pushing through the pain - putting the group ahead of yourself - pushing yourself beyond limits that you thought were there. He should have gone with the band and played through the competition. Then I could have bragged to everyone about how selfless he is and how dedicated and determined. You are not supposed to only excel, but you are to excel well beyond expectations. Right?

Good god, I suck.

In my defense, I KNEW that if I were to start talking to him, I would be unable to NOT vocalize disappointment in him, and despite my being smack in the middle of a massively heartless Mommy Dearest moment, I DID realize deep down somewhere just how awful I was being. I tried to protect him the only way possible at the time. Of course my silence did come across to him as disappointment, but I figured it was the lesser of two evils. Of COURSE I know I should have been comforting him and rubbing his shoulders and simply being a mother to him. That's what normal mothers would have done.

We got home and Q immediately fell into his bed and fell asleep. I did remove his shoes for him and straightened his covers. I also leaned over and whispered to him that I was never upset with him - that I was disappointed in the situation and sad for him that he had to miss the contest but I was not upset with him. He kind of grunted so I think he heard me.

How my children will survive me, I do not know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww....sometimes it's hard to let go of our own expectations, especially when they involve things that are so dear to us...it's okay Jen, they will not only survive you but thrive b/c of you :)

J said...

I probably would have reacted the same way - truly. I sometimes wonder how high the therapy bills will be when the kids realize just how much I suck.

In my case, I probably would have attributed the reaction to the illness part as fallout from my Christian Science upbringing. This post has actually made me think harder on how I might have reacted, and all the reasons, not just excuses. Not necessarily easy thoughts, but important to be had for me to grow as a parent.

Q will be great. He will. You're doing you best, you recognize your flaws - and that will come through for both of you.

Jodie said...

Jen-

Kate and I had an identical day in January. She was picked to play in a regional honor band. The night before she started feeling sick and head-achy. I chalked it up to nerves and woke her up to catch a very-early morning bus. I talked and talked trying to get her to go. She did have a really bad migraine--perhaps stress-induced? She didn't go and I was SO disappointed I was almost in tears. I was way more upset than she was.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Hey, it happens to all of us. Last month my son was supposed to run in a race that was a qualifier for a huge race next weekend. He caught a virus the week before and missed training. His coach urged us not to make him run that race so we didn't. But it was a disappointment that he won't be in this race next weekend. If his coach hadn't told us not to make him, I think we probably would have sent him, runny nose and cough notwithstanding.