Saturday, May 24, 2008

rah rah team

To say I was never very athletic is, oh, a little bit of an understatement. (Mare, quit laughing).

For one thing, when I was growing up there weren't really many options for little girls to play. For another thing, I was/am a bit of a clutz. I was much more interested in music and reading. And it was fine. I had a great childhood. As a result, however, I never thought much about athletics other than watching college football and participating on rec-league volleyball teams, more for the beer afterwards than the game.

I guess you can say I'm a convert now.

Daughter E during her final soccer game this spring
(Yes she chooses to wear skorts with her jersey. She's a fashion hound, what can I say?).



Son Q at his favorite position (center field).

We've been lucky to have coaches that value teamwork and are encouraging, while wtill emphasizing working toward excellence. No, I'm not all about winning, but competition is a skill that we all have to learn to handle. We've been lucky to have parents that not only whoot and whistle for our team but give shout outs to all the good plays, no matter what team. We also mostly keep occasional grumblings about the umpires to amongst ourselves. Can't find much to complain about the teams my kids have been on.

I can't think of a better way for my kids to learn about commitment and teamwork, and they are being active and healthy to boot. Plus, it's just FUN. Even for the parents cheering from the sidelines. I understand now.

2 comments:

J said...

NO WAY - Q is a Cardinal this spring? So is C!

Kanga Jen said...

Yep, he's a Cardinal. :-)

They're pretty good too - tied for 1st place. It is SO much fun to watch them play now. They understand so much of the game...