Saturday, May 31, 2008

finally a win on the road

We saw this game last night!

Something to note: this game was 13 innings. That's thirteen. Most baseball games are 9. This one went 4 1/2 hours (finished around midnight). Another thing to note: this is the first year we opted out of renting a hotel room by the stadium and planned to drive home after the game. 3 1/2 hour drive. But that's without a flat tire on the interstate. We pulled into our driveway around 4 am.

At the Babe Ruth and the
Camden Yards Sports Museums:
But it worth it! I was convinced Manny was going to hit his 500th homer there. 1) It was his birthday. 2) I was there. 3) He had something like 6 (or 7?) chances with a THIRTEEN inning game. 4) We toured the Babe Ruth museum before the game and were looking at the 500 HR wall of fame. Q noticed a very prominent blank space, just ready for the picture and caption. It had to be a sign. But no, Manny was busy being Manny. (You should have seen the flashes that rippled across the stadium every time he was at bat. It was pretty exciting. How much fun when he does hit it!!! Maybe today?)



And can I say that my boyfriend was awesome? Stealing 2nd AND 3rd??? Mikey!! And key hits and awesome, flawless fielding. I guess that contract extension is looking like it was a pretty.good.deal.

Sitting where we were - right down the 3rd base line, here's what I saw of him most of the night. (I'm not complaining)
















And we got to see Josh Beckett pitch! One very.cool.thing was watching him warm up. He was positioned right beside us in the outfield, looking directly at us. Through the binoculars, it was like I was right there batting.


And we got to see Paps close it out in the bottom of the 13th!! No jigs. No autograph either. My kids were too busy eating dippin' dots to join the crowd that he was signing balls for. (I nearly exploded when I came back from getting a beer and saw them.) E did snag an autograph on her ball from Aardsma to add to her collection though.

Fun game. Time for a nap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad ou had fun. Q looks like he's a giant all of a sudden. He looks so...old! Glad you got to stare at a ball player's butt for 13 innings. That's hot. LOL

Kanga Jen said...

I know! He's one inch shorter than me right now. He's a big guy.

J said...

How tall is Q now? C is 5'3".

I was giggling with each extra inning, thinking of you, sure you'd find a hotel. So sorry about the flat!

I'm going to the game tomorrow night with work. C is NOT PLEASED that I will have seen two games already this season.

Kanga Jen said...

J, Q is 5'4" according to the Sports Museum there. That's 1 1/2 inches shorter than I am. I'm still taller. I'll enjoy it now, as it'll probably last for another month or so.

I didn't realize the boys were playing Tampa last night!!! My boyfriend came through again. And JD Drew...wow. What a good game. Did you love it?