Wednesday, November 01, 2006

life...as it goes on

Happy Halloween!!!!

Here's pic of my sweet trick or treaters:


I'm so lucky. These little tiny people make my life amazing. And Q does an awesome impression of Napoleon Dynamite. It's a little frightening.

...and another pic I got from a friend whose husband is in the military:


John Kerry - will you just please be quiet for a while? We were doing OK until you screwed up a joke that really wasn't very good in the first place. Just. - stop. OK?

So. I posted a few posts ago about change. Right? And I made the comment that change is the bane of my existance, the definition of all existance. It's all good. Right?

Gah. While at work, as WONDERBOY is kicking me and gaochen out of the research nest and is slowly forcing me to become an independent researcher without my safety net (him) firmly in grasp, my husband is out of a job as of December 1. (Company lost their contract...he'll end up being fine, I know, but it would be nice to KNOW know, ya know?) And my wonderful friends B&K, the folks down the road who are really part of my family, who are the people that we wrote into our wills as the ones we want to be guardians of our children, the ones who I have spent the last 10+ years with through infertility, through babies, through adoptions, through diapers and walking and vacations and hurricanes and thanksgivings and crying and laughing...through dinners and babysitting and phone calls and wine and margaritas made of melted lime popsicles, through birthdays and holidays and LIFE...(sigh). They're leaving. Probably this summer. And as a result, everything seems unstable right now. But CHANGE IS GOOD. Right? Isn't that the party line? *sob*

You know, change is good. I know that (theoretically). Change is newness. And as someone who came up with Nietzsches' theory of eternal return on her own during the grad-school years of exploratory thinking, I sometimes think about eternity and what that would mean for "change". It would essentially do away with it, as nothing would ever be new. After an infinite amount of time (in which, you realize every possible thing that could possibly happen will indeed happen and will in fact happen an INFINITE number of times...), the wonderful things about life - the wonder and magic and love we feel, the joy, the music, the fun...those would all be diminished by the sheer commoness...by the repetitiveness. Would we still be able to feel that flicker of joy at seeing our husband walk in the door if we saw the same thing an infinite number of times? Nothing would ever be new. Would we be able to fully experience love and excitement if we'd experienced the same things an endless number of times? (sigh) Me and Nietzsche. We are brother and sister in the theory of eternal recurrence,

So. Change is good then. Change is what makes life different. Change is what keeps things new. (sniff)

Excuse me while I go drink another glass of wine and watch the stars and speak to my soul mate Nietzsche. We will wallow in despair together and then will wake up to a new day and....just move on.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're just so deep...

My soul mate is Dorothy "What fresh hell is this?" Parker.

Kanga Jen said...

Well. The deeper you are, the more full of sh*t you are able to be.
:-b

Anonymous said...

Cool! That means I'm deep, too! Yay, me!

Wait...

That is a good thing, right? Gives us fertile imaginations.

Lynne Thompson said...

whoa girl--I guess given your def, I am way deep too:-). Change is neutral--just like entropy. And you can count on always having to deal with it. How you greet it is up to you, grasshopper:-). There could be fresh and new in the Infinite if we took on a veil of forgetfulness at birth (which is what some religions teach)...as we reincarnate, we (unless we are very old souls) "forget" what we did before...interesting. LT

Jodie said...

I know two of Kate's guy friends were also Napolean Dynamite for Halloween. What's up with that? Guess I should see the movie sometime....

I am happy to be shallow. Change SUCKS. End of story.

Anonymous said...

Y'know...

When I first read your comment about wishing you knew me as a kid, I felt all warm and fuzzy inside, but then I reread it...

Are you saying I'm not a fun adult? That I've lost my youth? (Didn't lose it, I assure you - just misspent it.)

As for the other bit, not true - I was actually perfectly happy with my appearance, and pretty darned healthy. Thing is, I'm 43. I can do the math. I would not be happy, say, at 50 with another 10 or 20 lbs. (something like 240 lbs., total). Nope - and it just gets harder to take it off. Gotta rev up those engines (and not just between 6 and 7 AM!) So now I'm happier with my appearance, I'm feeling stronger with every passing week, and I feel really good about where I think I'll be come March 2007, when I turn 44.

But I've never hated how I look, and I'm pretty happy with who I am. ;) If all else fails, there's self-confidence, and I'm convinced that's the biggest factor in "attractiveness."

Anonymous said...

Oh...Jodie? If change sucks, then it follows that the next change will bring improvement, eh?

Anonymous said...

Getting tired of me posting, yet?

Nope, didn't think so. Thank you, thank you, thank you for not being a lurker. I'll take all the support I can get to get me through the month of NaNoNaNovember. ;) Egg me on, baby - egg me on!

Kanga Jen said...

Hey, I like all these comments!

LOL!!!!! Oh Holly, of course I didn't mean I wish I knew you as a kid INSTEAD of knowing you now. :-) I meant I would have had fun knowing you then, too...all full of spice and verve.

And as for the exercise - I meant I need to stop complaining if I'm not going to do anything about it. Put up or shut up, essentially.